Sailfin Tang Disease?

Kims' Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!

A few days ago I noticed my Sailfin Tang has a rather large blotch, almost bleached like, on his side. I attached 2 images to this post. The skin/scales around his eye looks a bit bleached as well as his dorsal fin. It doesn't seem to protrude at all. I have had this fish for a little over a year, he has been eating and swimming the way he normally does. I have a bit of an aiptasia problem right now but this doesn't look like a sting to me. I also have a dwarf lionfish so it is a possibility he got pricked but this doesn't explain the discoloration, unless the wound got infected. Also, my tank is about 4 years old. I was wondering if anyone has any idea of what this could be, any help is greatly appreciated!

Screenshot_20200429-121540_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200429-121603_Gallery.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes tangs and similar shaped fish will wedge themselves into rocks and night to sleep and the current will push them around a bit causing marks like these. Watch for signs of infection: redness, open sores, necrosis.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pale area around the eye could be a result of poor nutrition. How much and how often and what do you feed?

OP
OP
Kims' Reef

Kims' Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that is the case I would be surprised because he eats every day. We give them either PE mysis, live portions of brine shrimp from LFS, cyclops, dried algae or flakes/pellets. He will also pick at algae although we don't have much.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome! My tank is far too small to house one of these, the best I can do would be a Bristletooth or maybe one of the smaller Zebrasomas like a yellow.

From what I know Sailfins are quite sturdy for tangs, hope everything’s gonna be okay!

OP
OP
Kims' Reef

Kims' Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes tangs and similar shaped fish will wedge themselves into rocks and night to sleep and the current will push them around a bit causing marks like these. Watch for signs of infection: redness, open sores, necrosis.
He definitely does this at night, it could be the problem. I appreciate the help!

OP
OP
Kims' Reef

Kims' Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re welcome! My tank is far too small to house one of these, the best I can do would be a Bristletooth or maybe one of the smaller Zebrasomas like a yellow.

From what I know Sailfins are quite sturdy for tangs, hope everything’s gonna be okay!
Yeah I hope so too he is my favorite fish. He is so inquisitive, always checking out what we are doing around the tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bump up diet and as far as skin, melafix should help this heal up real nice.
Add vitamin such as Selcon to food and Garlic to foods. Feed at minimum:

Nori seaweed basted with garlic
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Mysis shrimp
Plankton
LRS herbivore diet
Spirulina brine shrimp

OP
OP
Kims' Reef

Kims' Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump up diet and as far as skin, melafix should help this heal up real nice.
Add vitamin such as Selcon to food and Garlic to foods. Feed at minimum:

Nori seaweed basted with garlic
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Mysis shrimp
Plankton
LRS herbivore diet
Spirulina brine shrimp
I will definitely do that. My brother has a freshwater tank and advised me to add melafix as well. Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
Kims' Reef

Kims' Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys...all I have to say is never use API Pimafix or Melafix. Shortly after this post I added both into my tank, I used a little less than the dosage required for my tank... woke up the next morning to find ALL of my fish dead except for my 2 clownfish. My corals survived as did some of my snails/hermit crabs, but 6 of my otherwise healthy fish were killed within one dose in one night. I followed the directions and turned off my protein skimmer to prevent excessive bubbling. I used these products once a few years ago and did not have this problem. I looked into it and apparantly this is a common problem with API Melafix and Pimafix. Just thought I would give you guys a heads up. ☹

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back