Sailfin Tang Rapid Breathing

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Out of curiosity. Does the fish always hide from you? Or just the camera?

Edit; Also, I missed a video and I circled a bump on the tangs head. Did it fall off? Was it sand?

sailfin.jpg sailfin002.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, just finished the water change and have a new video for you.

I scrubbed the rocks, the glass, and stirred up the sand some. I pulled a good amount of slime out by hand, and did the sock change last night and this morning. Even accidentally fragged my monti .

Still looks quite undesirable, but definitely cleared up a good amount of funk.

I captured some of the dashing behavior I was referring to here. I also saw the tang scraping its gills on the rocks early this morning, but have not seen it since. Wrasse is not out of the sand yet, which is kinda strange, but I was moving stuff around last night and this morning so I'm hoping it's related to that.

Let me know what you guys think.
Is it just my imagination, or is the tang breathing slower now?
Jay

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still looks pretty fast, saw a file fish too eating I think. When I'm doing stuff in tanks like catching fish, cleaning glass, or whatever. Tangs always freak out swim around like crazy, and breathe heavy. Sometimes takes a few days for them to get used to me again. Maybe this recent video, all treatments and extra activity was also them scared of you. Still thinking of other things, but how big is the tank and how many other powerheads do you have? Also is it possible to lower the temp of the tank slowly as it allows more dissolved oxygen.

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those wont effect the breathing rate.

Right, sorry, I was sharing that because of the sudden nitrate jump (which I imagine is a result of the consumers being removed).

Out of curiosity. Does the fish always hide from you? Or just the camera?

It doesn't really hide from me or the camera in particular. I actually got a good close up of him earlier that I'll post below.

Did it fall off? Was it sand?

I don't think it was sand, and I don't think it's fallen off. I believe it's a small crater on him which I'll get into below.

Still thinking of other things, but how big is the tank and how many other powerheads do you have? Also is it possible to lower the temp of the tank slowly as it allows more dissolved oxygen.

I have two powerheads at the moment. I don't have any others on hand.

Temperature is pretty steady at the moment between 77.8 and 78.4 throughout the day. I could lower it if it would help, but I'm suspicious of something else at the moment.

Here's a photo I took earlier.

1625155975897.png

I was doing some reading, and came across this article: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/sp/index.php

This ailment's initial manifestation is usually the development of small pits around the eye and on the head and adjacent area. As it progresses, the holes grow larger, eventually connecting to become larger lesions, additionally extending back along the fish's lateral line.

This in particular leads me to wonder if this could be marine head and lateral line erosion. While I'm far from an expert, I figured it was worth mentioning this as a possibility.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, the tang has line erosion. A healthy diet will reverse this. No one said anything probably because of a lot of these tangs are showing up like this.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, sorry, I was sharing that because of the sudden nitrate jump (which I imagine is a result of the consumers being removed).

It doesn't really hide from me or the camera in particular. I actually got a good close up of him earlier that I'll post below.

I don't think it was sand, and I don't think it's fallen off. I believe it's a small crater on him which I'll get into below.

I have two powerheads at the moment. I don't have any others on hand.

Temperature is pretty steady at the moment between 77.8 and 78.4 throughout the day. I could lower it if it would help, but I'm suspicious of something else at the moment.

Here's a photo I took earlier.

1625155975897.png

I was doing some reading, and came across this article: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-06/sp/index.php

This in particular leads me to wonder if this could be marine head and lateral line erosion. While I'm far from an expert, I figured it was worth mentioning this as a possibility.
Yes, that’s the start of HLLE, I posted a paper on that issue in the file section here (I’m on my phone and I can’t link it for you).
Jay

OP
OP
H

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, just wanted to give an update.

I got the UV sterilizer installed last thursday, and I added a GFO reactor + carbon reactor. Water is a lot cleaner, and the tang actually looks a LOT better.

The tang started to look better as soon as the day after the sterilizer was installed, and is almost back to normal (as far as I can tell).

Thanks for the help!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I got the UV sterilizer installed last thursday, and I added a GFO reactor + carbon reactor. Water is a lot cleaner, and the tang actually looks a LOT better.

The tang started to look better as soon as the day after the sterilizer was installed, and is almost back to normal (as far as I can tell).

Thanks for the help!
Much better. And very normal breathing pattern. I am glad she is looking stuffed.

TY very much for the update. She looks amazing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I w

Thanks for the help!
I wondered if the respiration rate was slower last week, I just wasn’t able to get an actual count off the video on my phone. I doubt the UV was related to this, more likely it was the tank work you did. Is the HLLE also reduced? That rarely happens, and when it does, it isn’t so fast.
Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back