Salifert calcium test

RSREEFING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone, so I'm finally getting around to testing my tank.

This is the salifert test kit and just want to double check that I'm reading it right, my calcium is 460?

20210126_105339.jpg 20210126_105322.jpg 20210126_110231.jpg

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That’s right! The calcium is 460 since it’s 0.92 on the syringe. Then, you have to subtract 1 - 0.92 = 0.08 = 460 ppm.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait -- something doesn't look right. If you're holding the syringe with the tip up, is the plunger at 0.92? If you filled the syringe to 1.00 and then only moved it down to 0.92 you only dispensed 0.08 ml into the vial. If that's the case then your Ca reading is 40. For a reading of 460, your plunger should be around 0.08 -- meaning you dispensed 0.92 ml into the vial.

The table is based on the total amount of CA-3 liquid you added to the vial. So if you added 0.92 ml, then as @Gernader said, your calcium would be 460.

OP
OP
R

RSREEFING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait -- something doesn't look right. If you're holding the syringe with the tip up, is the plunger at 0.92? If you filled the syringe to 1.00 and then only moved it down to 0.92 you only dispensed 0.08 ml into the vial. If that's the case then your Ca reading is 40. For a reading of 460, your plunger should be around 0.08 -- meaning you dispensed 0.92 ml into the vial.

The table is based on the total amount of CA-3 liquid you added to the vial. So if you added 0.92 ml, then as @Gernader said, your calcium would be 460.
I will rinse everything and let it dry and retest. Having issues with the Magnesium test too

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Oh, I didn’t catch that! Good eye. I didn’t pay attention to the numbers on the syringe, so it looks like the Ca reading is very low then. To OP, did you make sure the reagents aren’t expired? Please let us know your next test.

Scuba Mike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I didn’t catch that! Good eye. I didn’t pay attention to the numbers on the syringe, so it looks like the Ca reading is very low then. To OP, did you make sure the reagents aren’t expired? Please let us know your next test.
One tip I picked up while researching the test kits. When drawing the reagent into the syringe the top of the syringe should be at the 1.0 level and the level of the reagent should show at .85. This makes sense as that is the level of the reagent, not the level of the plunger.

I partially fill and empty syringe a couple of time to get any air out and watch until I get a .85 reagent level with the plunger at the 1 mark.

Mike

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah. If the plunger is fully down, with tip in place it’s normal to get air in. As long as the tip is in the test solution whist drawing, it doesn’t matter. And the flat of the wet side of the plunger should be drawn to the 1.00 mark.

Scuba Mike

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah. If the plunger is fully down, with tip in place it’s normal to get air in. As long as the tip is in the test solution whist drawing, it doesn’t matter. And the flat of the wet side of the plunger should be drawn to the 1.00 mark.
Check it out next time you draw up the reagent, at least for me the reagent level fluctuated. I also find with my Hana reagents I will sometimes find a small air bubble at the plunger even if it was under water when drawn up.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check it out next time you draw up the reagent, at least for me the reagent level fluctuated. I also find with my Hana reagents I will sometimes find a small air bubble at the plunger even if it was under water when drawn up.
I do hope I haven’t been doing it wrong since 2004, that would be very embarrassing. LOL

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this test for my tank and I ended up emptying the whole syringe and the colour didn't change. I checked how much more it took to change and it was about another 10 drops on top of a the full syringe I had already added I guess my calcium levels are over 500. Is this bad?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got this test for my tank and I ended up emptying the whole syringe and the colour didn't change. I checked how much more it took to change and it was about another 10 drops on top of a the full syringe I had already added I guess my calcium levels are over 500. Is this bad?

Calcium at 500-550 ppm is fine. Some salt mixes start that high. I just wouldn't add more and let is slowly decline,.

To get the actual value, just add the values for the two syringes used together. :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back