Salifert Nitrate test

https://www.triton.de/en/

lacynic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi,
Can someone help me with this Salifert test? My nitrates kept reading high even after water changes. I decided to test my freshly made and the picture is my results. This is brand new RODI water with only Red Sea Salt added to the bucket.
I am concerned my test have been inaccurate and reading higher nitrates than are actually in my tank.

D6CA19E9-EE1B-49FC-88DD-8550A8BCAA20.jpeg

Avast

GillMeister

View Badges
Reaction score
Have you tested the RODI water itself? The process is supposed to filter out nitrates so a positive test result there would indicate either a problem with your filter or the test kit. How old is the test kit?

Zoanthids.com

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
I use all Salifert kits. It looks like your nitrate is between 2.5 and 5 since you're looking at it through the side. From top down, you can use the chart. From the side, you have to divide by 10.

Second thing, your new water should test zero nitrate. I would get a 2nd Salifert kit from another source, to just eliminate that the test kit is faulty. If its proven faulty, then get a refund for the first one. If its not faulty, you'll end up using both of them eventually anyways.

If your test kits are not faulty, then you may need to visit your RODI water. Get a TDS Meter and make sure your RODI water tests Zero before adding salt. Test your RODI water before & after adding salt to check if the nitrate source is one of those two.

Zoanthids.com

GillMeister

View Badges
Reaction score
That sounds like a problem. RO should capture most nitrite, which means you could have high levels of nitrite in your unfiltered water. That is probably not healthy. Does your municipality put out water test results?

802ScubaFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Can we pump the breaks, as someone already mentioned above the Salifert instructions state to look through the top, I believe looking through the side magnifies the color... a top down photo, i bet the purple is WAY lighter colored..

as for the fresh RO giving this reading that’s definitely another question

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Can we pump the breaks, as someone already mentioned above the Salifert instructions state to look through the top, I believe looking through the side magnifies the color... a top down photo, i bet the purple is WAY lighter colored..

Uhhh what? Pump the brakes on what? The only advice given was to check the Test Kits, and Test the RODI water. The side view / top view is already established.

It's also strange that there is Nitrite in RODI water so it was suggested to explore that with giving actual examples of what to do. Perhaps read the entire thread?

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
lacynic

lacynic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
That sounds like a problem. RO should capture most nitrite, which means you could have high levels of nitrite in your unfiltered water. That is probably not healthy. Does your municipality put out water test results?
Probably. I actually buy the water from a LFS.

OP
lacynic

lacynic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score

Actually it says for higher sensitivity use the side view for values lower than 10mg/l. I was just asking why fresh water would give a reading of nitrates at all. I’m new the game and just trying to learn.

802ScubaFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Actually it says for higher sensitivity use the side view for values lower than 10mg/l. I was just asking why fresh water would give a reading of nitrates at all. I’m new the game and just trying to learn.
No worries at all, other commenter was right^ I didn’t read until the end of the thread. As long as you are dividing by 10 (per my own Salifert N03 kit instructions) looking at the side you should be fine.

Top Shelf Aquatics
https://www.triton.de/en/

So what do you think about running carbon as a filter for your aquariums?

• Underrated

Votes: 46 12.7%
  • Overrated

Votes: 56 15.5%
  • Just Right

Votes: 259 71.7%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
CK