Salt not fully mixing

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been using instant ocean sea salt for a little bit and it seems like it’s not really mixing. It mixes in to it being sort of clear but when you look closer you can see salt crystals still floating in the water. I’ve got it mixing in a small bucket (for Pico tank) with a power head that’s 500gph so it should be mixing. Can someone help please?!!!
IMG_0370_LI.jpg

Are you aerating your mix as instructed? I found that 675g of salt to 5 gallons of RODI water mixes to a SG of 1.025@ 67*F. Mine mixes crystal clear after about 2 hours with AquaClear 50 powerhead.

Edit: If you don't have one, get a digital kitchen scale. Cups are relative and can be inaccurate. I do a lot of baking (My other hobby is cooking) and have found that recipes work almost infallibly when ingredients are measured by weight and not volume.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be different depending on the device your using. That's why it is important to use the right device at the right temperature.

Well, many devices auto correct for temperature. If yours does not, then you either need to use it at the right temp, or manually correct the reading. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some salts tell you not to over-mix. Pretty sure Red Sea actually states to not mix more than 4 hours.

I think people tend to over-mix and over-heat their salt water leading to precipitation.

To perhaps be clearer than Red Sea, that effect on precipitation is only from heating, not from actual mixing.

Red Sea is rather confused on this issue and gives directions that are technically impossible to follow. When I questioned a Red Sea tech rep about their strange recommendation to mix without aeration until pH stabilizes (a nonsensical directive), I got a nonsense answer. Hopefully it is just a translation issue and not actual chemical misunderstanding on their part.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m Batman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s where you get your aeration, I mix 5g at a time.
Has a tube and that pulls air into the water.

Maybe this could provide help at what levels you can expect to see when mixing over time..

F716EB20-8CBF-4D47-9EAB-FEBFD38C4747.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back