saltedbytes CADE Reef S2 1500 Build

saltedbytes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughly 5 years ago I bought a new house and had the intentions to set up my high tech planted tank in the foyer. It unfortunately ended up sitting in the garage dry for the next 5 years...

I decided it was finally time to get a new tank and this time I was going to go reef. I'd always wanted a reef tank, but thought it was too expensive and high maintenance. COVID lockdown gave me a fair bit of time to spend researching everything I needed to know about setting up a reef tank.

After a lot (really, a lot) of research and browsing, I decided on going all in on a CADE S2 1500. The thing that finally sold me on the CADE vs other brands in the same range was the aluminum & glass stand.

It's pretty rare to find a CADE tank in stock so you generally need to pre-order months in advanced. I missed the cut-off for the December shipment (placed my order in October), but still managed to secure a spare one that was due to come in the same shipment.

COVID and Christmas/New Year caused a few delays, but it finally got delivered last week!

It was a pretty tight fit up a few stairs from my front yard, but with 4 people we eventually managed to get it in place.

I had some issues with the level/alignment of the stand and doors, but Adam @ CADE was super helpful and I was able to sort them out with his help. Unfortunately the water level gauge in the overflow was scratched up, but luckily it is just sticks on and my LFS has organized delivery for a replacement one from CADE.

IMG_2666.JPG

Equipment I've got so far:
  • EcoTech Vectra M2 (with barb and strainer kit)
  • 2 * AI Nero 5's
  • 2 * AI Hydra 64HD (with mounts)
  • Eheim JAGER 300W Heater
  • Inkbird ITC-306A
  • 2 * 2 Maxspect Nano-Tech Bioblocks
  • 2 * 1kg Maxspect Nano-Tech Biospheres
  • Reef Pure 4 Stage 100GPD Premium RO/DI System
  • 2 * 220L Water Storage Barrels
Waiting on:
  • Great White GW-12
  • Carib Sea Arag Alive Sand
  • Rock
  • Red Sea Salt

More to come!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice

Oh and howdy

OP
OP
saltedbytes

saltedbytes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took about a week to fill with RODI, but it's finally done!

Unfortunately I'm still waiting on salt, sand and rocks so I can't progress much further.

I went ahead and calibrated the Ecotech Vectra M2, set the flow to 50% and tuned the overflow. The Vectra is really loud... The whole point of buying it was because it was "dead silent". It makes a very audible hum and can be heard from several rooms away. The hum gets worse as the flow is increased.

I reached out to Ecotech support to see what they say. They've told me it has a "2 week break in period" and it will be quiet after that. It's been running for 4 days and so far sounds exactly the same, but I'll wait out the 2 weeks and see.

The Nero 5's are also much louder than I thought they would be, but they're totally drowned out by the sound of the M2 at the moment.

Continuing with the noise theme, with the Vectra at 50% the sound of water splashing in to the filter socks is also quite loud. I've asked a friend to print me some filter sock silencers, should get them this week.

IMG_2716.JPG

IMG_2717.JPG

IMG_2718.JPG

RBuchetto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad these tanks are making their way to the US. Looks awesome! This is certainly my next upgrade from the current 90 gallon!

OP
OP
saltedbytes

saltedbytes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still struggling to get stock of things here in Australia.

Managed to get some Carib Sea South Seas base rock - but not enough. I'm planning on breaking it up and making a negative space aquascape.

I was also finally able to source a blue bucket of Red Sea Salt, so I've at least got some salty water in the tank now.

I'm still having issues with my Vectra M2 making a pretty loud hum, so I've got a ticket open with Eco tech about that.

My 3D printed filter sock silencers worked a treat with quieting down the sounds of the water splashing in to the socks. But I can't get the sounds of the water going down the overflow to be quiet. It sounds like there's always air stuck in the 90 degree angles.

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still struggling to get stock of things here in Australia.

Managed to get some Carib Sea South Seas base rock - but not enough. I'm planning on breaking it up and making a negative space aquascape.

I was also finally able to source a blue bucket of Red Sea Salt, so I've at least got some salty water in the tank now.

I'm still having issues with my Vectra M2 making a pretty loud hum, so I've got a ticket open with Eco tech about that.

My 3D printed filter sock silencers worked a treat with quieting down the sounds of the water splashing in to the socks. But I can't get the sounds of the water going down the overflow to be quiet. It sounds like there's always air stuck in the 90 degree angles.
Just a curiosity, but what are you running the M2 at? Algae Barn recommended the L2, which I'm glad I went with, as I'm able to operate it at a healthy 55% of max capacity. I've often wondered if I'd gone with the M2, would I have had to run it pretty "hot" and gotten more noise or wear over time as a result. Curious the outcome from Vectra.

The sock splash issue is a new one for me; I'm using felt socks, and I got rid of my 3d printed filters as I didn't like them all that much // don't have noise regardless. I'm curious what I did by accident to suppress it, since most other folks seem to have the noise issue sans silencers.

On the overflow, I had that problem for a long time while I Was running the L2 pretty hot; eventually I realized I was better able to get the flow sounds "correct" by tuning 1% at a time on the Vectra rather than with the weir valve, and waiting about an hour in between each adjustment to give it a chance to stabilize. Don't know if that will help, but hope it does!

OP
OP
saltedbytes

saltedbytes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a curiosity, but what are you running the M2 at? Algae Barn recommended the L2, which I'm glad I went with, as I'm able to operate it at a healthy 55% of max capacity. I've often wondered if I'd gone with the M2, would I have had to run it pretty "hot" and gotten more noise or wear over time as a result. Curious the outcome from Vectra.

The sock splash issue is a new one for me; I'm using felt socks, and I got rid of my 3d printed filters as I didn't like them all that much // don't have noise regardless. I'm curious what I did by accident to suppress it, since most other folks seem to have the noise issue sans silencers.

On the overflow, I had that problem for a long time while I Was running the L2 pretty hot; eventually I realized I was better able to get the flow sounds "correct" by tuning 1% at a time on the Vectra rather than with the weir valve, and waiting about an hour in between each adjustment to give it a chance to stabilize. Don't know if that will help, but hope it does!
With the M2 at 50% the bubble noise from the primary drain is bearable. If I put it any higher, it becomes way to noisy even after spending hours trying to dial the gate valve in with tiny adjustments. I'm wondering if there's not enough height between the primary drain and the emergency overflow.

Did you calibrate your L2? What did you have your gate valve set to before adjusting the L2 by 1% at a time?

OP
OP
saltedbytes

saltedbytes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still getting bounced around by EcoTech support, after going back and forth with no resolution, they closed my case and directed me to contact the Australian distributor for help. Thought I was buying a premium product, not too happy with it so far...

Started working on the Aquascape, it's a slow process..

IMG_3023.JPG

mvbrandt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the M2 at 50% the bubble noise from the primary drain is bearable. If I put it any higher, it becomes way to noisy even after spending hours trying to dial the gate valve in with tiny adjustments. I'm wondering if there's not enough height between the primary drain and the emergency overflow.

Did you calibrate your L2? What did you have your gate valve set to before adjusting the L2 by 1% at a time?
I basically set the L2 at 50%, adjusted the gate valve until it was "close," and then amended 1% at a time on the Vectra, waiting an hour in between adjustments, until it was quiet. Keep in mind wave makers will always cause the occasional drain noise as they disturb the surface water consistency.

Big key is the patience in between adjustments.

Manny D. Mandarin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still getting bounced around by EcoTech support, after going back and forth with no resolution, they closed my case and directed me to contact the Australian distributor for help. Thought I was buying a premium product, not too happy with it so far...

Started working on the Aquascape, it's a slow process..

IMG_3023.JPG
Love the caves!

Coomer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still having problems with your M2? I’m also running a M2 on my 1500 and it’s barely audible at 50%. Also, very nice aquascape!

OP
OP
saltedbytes

saltedbytes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you still having problems with your M2? I’m also running a M2 on my 1500 and it’s barely audible at 50%. Also, very nice aquascape!
Went back and forth with the Australian support branch for a while. The recommended not using the flexi pipe included by CADE, so I switched it with clear plastic vinyl tubing cut to length. It made a very minor difference, and I still believe it's making an unacceptable amount of noise.

It's like a loud fan blowing air.

They eventually told me to ship the pump to them (at my expense) so they can have a look. Really not happy about that as it leaves me without any pump as well. So I haven't done that as of yet.

OP
OP
saltedbytes

saltedbytes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've mortared the rocks I have together and added the them to the tank. Also finally got a hold of 2 bags of Carib Sea special grade sand, but I'm going to need a third one for full coverage.

Added a LED strip under the cabinet for some extra light too.

Still need 2 more taller rock structures on the left and right of the tank.

IMG_3092.JPG

IMG_3093.JPG

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, great build so far, i am running the exact same tank with a lot of the same equipment. Check out my build thread.

Have you pulled the M2 apart and reassembled? maybe the impeller isn't seated properly or something isn't tight. definitely worth a try. My M2 is dead silent, it has been a great pump.

If you haven't sorted the bubbling noise in the overflow yet, ensure the tank water level is right up at the top of the emergency overflow pipe. To purge the air out of the main syphon, i quickly wound the valve closed, let the water overflow down the emergency and then start to slowly open the valve again until water just stops flowing down the emergency overflow. Doing this gives the trapped air a chance to make its way out of the overflow when there is no flow.

Also you may need to evenly distribute your Biological media evenly across the media baskets. Water flow will take the path of least resistance, so most of your flow will be going through the empty baskets.

Your filter sock are noisy as there is no waste to block them up. Once slightly dirty the water level will raise slightly in that section as there will be a slight restriction through the socks.

OP
OP
saltedbytes

saltedbytes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually found your build thread when I was researching CADE's :)

I have tried pulling it apart and re-assembling, I even tried rotating the pump head to see if it made any difference at all - it didn't.

Still getting air bubble sounds in the main drain line. I tried your method of closing the valve completely, unfortunately hasn't made any difference. Looking at the other CADE models and I've noticed they all include 45 degree bends in the drain instead of 90 degree, wonder why they've done it different for the 1500.

Thanks for the tip regarding the media baskets, I'll sort them out.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back