Saltmix Parameters bring on the test results

Ezeke1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you compiling this list of saltmixes. I was considering switching over to AF reef salt because I like the consistency of the alkalinity and calcium range but should I be concerned there it has more unwanted metals than other salts?

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you compiling this list of saltmixes. I was considering switching over to AF reef salt because I like the consistency of the alkalinity and calcium range but should I be concerned there it has more unwanted metals than other salts?

I would not be concerned about that if it's even accurate. If you feed your fish or dose anything you're also adding many unwanted metals. It's a trace amount and in trace amounts life needs things like copper even though in larger amounts will kill it.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jason2459
Just read through your entire thread. Thanks for your data!
If you don't mind...
At this time are you still using regular IO?

Would love to see the Fritz RPM results down the line as well. :)

Regards, GoVols

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jason2459
Just read through your entire thread. Thanks for your data!
If you don't mind...
At this time are you still using regular IO?

Would love to see the Fritz RPM results down the line as well. :)

Regards, GoVols
Yes, regular IO is what I normally use. But recently in gearing up for a big shootout and being able to get a side experiment out of it because of just being curious I have been using another salt the past couple months. I have not noticed anything overall immediately different. After this I will go back to basic IO. I see and have no reason not to.

Request has been noted. [emoji6]

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, regular IO is what I normally use. But recently in gearing up for a big shootout and being able to get a side experiment out of it because of just being curious I have been using another salt the past couple months. I have not noticed anything overall immediately different. After this I will go back to basic IO. I see and have no reason not to.

Request has been noted. [emoji6]
I used a box of the RPM and I have no complaints and it was spot on to Fritz's big 3 specs. to my test kits and my testing capabilities.

But... I've used IO for the most part of 2 decades and just can't beat the price, so went back to IO and I see no difference to the RPM and doubt I will but I've only done three water changes with IO at this time.

Thanks for starting this thread and I can't imagine the time and effort you've put in this project but it's nice to see this thing evolve and done so in an unbiased manner.

Regards, GoVols

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay, I've been out of town for a few weeks the past month (tank automation is awesome!) and playing a ton of catchup with life. I have things coming in to get something very cool done and spanning multiple threads that I've started. So sorry, will be some cross posting going on at some point.

petemichelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was an excellent thread put together quite some time ago now by Billybeau1 and hilgert. I've referred to it may times to see if someone is close to the expected values of a particular saltmix. There can of course be slight variations and if any settling has occurred in the mix before use can cause results to be even farther from the normal numbers.

There's threads all the time with people testing their new salt mix but seems like its always when there's possibly a problem with it.

I'd like this to be a thread of new batches of salt mix tested when there aren't any problems. Get a good array of tests done on different brands. Then compare each one against the original synthetic saltmix parameters thread and compile a set of averages for a particular brand and compare.

Just basics like temp, salinity, alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium. Or at subset of those three but I think temp and salinity level should be published with all the posts. Giving what was used for the testing would be nice too.

Something simple like
Brand:
Temp:
Salinity:

Alkalinity:
Calcium:
Magnesium:

Another good point brought up was

Along with bringing temp up to around 77F or 25C just before testing.

This will not be perfect and useful only as a rough idea of what to expect from a particular brand of salt mix.

My tests done recently from my New Salt mix brute.

Brand: Instant Ocean (IO) nothing added
Temp: 77.2 (Hanna handheld meter)
Salinity: 53mS pinpoint probe and 35ppt veegee refractometer

Alk:10.4dkh Salifert
Ca: 410 ppm Salifert
Mg: 1320ppm Salifert

Edited for

Latest compilation of results of the big 3:

5c54235ee1104890b9d120c1fbd253da.jpg

34738cdfe4551639c3906d522b89edcb.jpg

17b861417168da971e3faf0f3d1f8e5b.jpg

e36608dec2c29b15b4ac51ca97705b6e.jpg

Triton only results
9fedc9748c7b7faed022df93dd874e08.jpg

7f77cc236ece140fd08fdb2da5a2f4f8.jpg

874bbc0d828e6e23592ba606cd368818.jpg

02a0364b477a90e0b55826ae86c9dd2b.jpg

19695ffcbf46e0b42a438a4edaafafba.jpg

2334f7f5d766b84ee0c15d8ef24ae748.jpg

Correction on AquaVitro Salinity

2560cc040ff526a02417959374737575.jpg

ba582a16404d0cac1256c07af7349077.jpg
BEST thread yet on salt parameters and brands

OP
OP
jason2459

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost done. Very late night last night too. I forgot how tedious this is but I should be able to get everything sent out, well, I guess today.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy..

May I ask you which salt brands you've had good success with. Would ask which salt you are using now, but if that's confidential I understand.

Right now I'm running IO and IORC. I was gonna switch over to Fritz, but have been hearing mixed reviews. I did mix up one batch that I got from a friend and WOW. It mixed super clear and clean. I was amazed. It seemed like really good quality salt, but according to others the ALK drops when stored more than a week and the batches are very inconsistent. Any thoughts?

I'm looking for batch consistency and a brand that is as close to natural seawater as I can get.

My gigantea's prefer the parameters that are close to natural seawater. :)

Thanks for any opinions brother!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy..

May I ask you which salt brands you've had good success with. Would ask which salt you are using now, but if that's confidential I understand.

Right now I'm running IO and IORC. I was gonna switch over to Fritz, but have been hearing mixed reviews. I did mix up one batch that I got from a friend and WOW. It mixed super clear and clean. I was amazed. It seemed like really good quality salt, but according to others the ALK drops when stored more than a week and the batches are very inconsistent. Any thoughts?

I'm looking for batch consistency and a brand that is as close to natural seawater as I can get.

Im pretty sure he used instant ocean.

CryX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the results of testing the elemental composition of the Fauna Marin Professional Sea Salt and Korallen Zuht Reefer's Best salt? Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy..

Yes, I used IO for 20 years until I took the tank down. I was never convinced anything else would be a substantial improvement.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I used IO for 20 years until I took the tank down. I was never convinced anything else would be a substantial improvement.

This is me. I use IO and have tried AF, Seachem Reef, Fritz RPM, IORC, Salinity, Red Sea Blue & Black buckets, HW-Marine Reefer and others I can't think of. All these other brands except RPM and HW caused some kind of change in my system. To me change isn't good and I like IO because it just works Plus for the cost I can do +30% water changes every 1-2 weeks ensuring too notch water quality.

IO for the win!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back