Saltwater Ick Treatment Safe For Corals

heyitskelton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect my two clowns and Midas blenny have ick and I want to treat my whole tank. What are good ways/products to get rid of ick that is safe for coals? I have a dunkin and hammer. Thanks!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a touchy subject to some but i would really vote for QT tank and let the display remain fallow for 3 months.
Better than suffering fish and or dead fish.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

heyitskelton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I do anything, can you identify this and tell me if it is ick?
IMG_1762.jpg

Upvote 0

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum...ick...velvet....leaning towards ick.
The fish have to come out for a copper treatment now, copper will kill both parasites and clowns are hardy fish.
The DT must remain without fish for....I always go with the 72 days rule cause I hate risk, but recently some are saying 45, your call.
In tank treatments IMO, are a waste of time.
But your call
If it was velvet, fish will die within 48 hours or so.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

heyitskelton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for helping me, I didn’t have a QT but just bought a tank and filter. Will use my spare light and lid. Starting treatment tonight or tomorrow morning. Again, thank you all!

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the quick replies. Freshwater dip- how do I do it? Also, I heard copper isn't good for inverts.

So - you may not like to hear all this, but here it goes:

That's ich, not velvet. You cannot use copper with invertebrates. Prazipro has no affect on ich. Freshwater dips won't remove the trophont stage, so will not cure the fish. There is NO reef safe medication that will stop ich when it reaches the stage your fish has. Really, the only course of action is to set up another tank and treat the fish with copper there. Copper takes 3 days to really start to work, and your fish has a pretty severe case of ich, so it may not work in time. You will need to leave your DT fishless for 45 to 76 days (depending on how risk averse you are).

Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

heyitskelton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During treatment, should I put a heater in and warm the water some? If so, what is a good and safe temperature for clowns and midas blenny?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During treatment, should I put a heater in and warm the water some? If so, what is a good and safe temperature for clowns and midas blenny?
The fish need a heater during treatment for ich, 78 degrees F. is good. Don’t go above 80 as that just causes the parasite to multiply faster.
Jay

Upvote 0
Back