Saltwater Newbie

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!! Here is a great place to start!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Good luck with the 40g!

3125F68C-8C7C-4DF5-A70B-94EE0B9180C2.gif

Last edited:

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve taken the plunge in starting a saltwater tank. Right now I’m cycling my 40 gallon tank, but I’m not sure what tests I need to do weekly and other saltwater terminology ( dosing, cycling).
Welcome!

Glad you joined. Good info in post #2.

Once you're done cycling, nitrates will be your most tested. I've been using the API nitrate test because it's easy but its hard to judge one shade of yellow from another shade of yellow. People are going to jump on me for saying API as their tests aren't most accurate. Hanna *just* launched a high range nitrate checker ("high" starts at 4... so their low never was an option for most) and later this month its rumored to be available on Bulk Reef Supply so its my next tank purchase.

During cycling, test your ammonia to watch it come down and then you'll know your cycling is done. Mini cycles happen whenever you add something new/more to your tank. I do check ammonia on my little 5g Petco quarantine (QT) tank whenever I have that setup in use (otherwise it lives under or beside my desk).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

JAC-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome friend not trying to disagree with our friend @Fish Think Pink but, you will definitely want to consider alkalinity, magnesium, and calcium if you plan on keeping corals. You'll need something to check salinity no mater what. I recomend anything other than API as soon as the budget allows.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome friend not trying to disagree with our friend @Fish Think Pink but, you will definitely want to consider alkalinity, magnesium, and calcium if you plan on keeping corals. You'll need something to check salinity no mater what. I recomend anything other than API as soon as the budget allows.
@JAC- is right, if your saltwater setup is going to have corals then you'll also be testing other things... Some days I feel more like a chemist than a reef keeper LOL

Once you are testing, also recommend a notebook or spreadsheet or some way of logging your results... but all this and more starts in post #2 info and just grow from there, depending what you want to keep in your saltwater tank.

Glad you joined!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back