Saltwater Newbie

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When adding fish/cuc etc we first float bag in our tank or sump to temperature acclimate them so water temp the same then we acclimatise them putting bit of our tankwater into the bag or vessel we using or we drip accliminate,basically to get the livestock used to our water ,salinity, elements ,chemistry of water etc.

Also with corals we light aclimintise them usually starting off low in tank and gradually rise them higher and /or certain lights have a feature that dims the lights and slowly rises them for you.so the corals get a chance to get used to the new light conditions as may have been in lower or higher light intensities in previous tank.
Edit: nevery coral wants/needs different light so when i say we start off low in tank then rise them higher and higher,this depends on the coral and your lights and distance from lights and if coral a low light or medium or high light coral etc so dont so dont move all corals higher and higher till get to top rocks.
Need do research or ask questions where recommended placement be ^_^

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve taken the plunge in starting a saltwater tank. Right now I’m cycling my 40 gallon tank, but I’m not sure what tests I need to do weekly and other saltwater terminology ( dosing, cycling).
Welcome to Reef2Reef! This is a great place to ask questions and learn, so you're right where you need to be! Plenty of knowledgeable and helpful people on these forums. I'm guessing it's been answered already, but once ammonia and nitrites are at zero and you have nitrates, your tank should be ready for the first fish to be added - don't add too many at once and overload the bioload. After you've had some fish for a little bit and some algae starts, go for a clean up crew - snails etc. Corals, depending on type, need time for the tank to stabilize more, so start with softies (mushrooms and zoas etc) and then move into lps and sps once alkalinity is stable. The types of tests you need will be dependent on the types of corals you're going to keep, but typically phosphates, nitrates, and ammonia are good tests to keep and then calcium, alkalinity, and anything you're going to dose are other tests to have (if keeping sps/lps corals). A good rule is always: don't dose if you don't test.

OP
OP
ChiTown81

ChiTown81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef! This is a great place to ask questions and learn, so you're right where you need to be! Plenty of knowledgeable and helpful people on these forums. I'm guessing it's been answered already, but once ammonia and nitrites are at zero and you have nitrates, your tank should be ready for the first fish to be added - don't add too many at once and overload the bioload. After you've had some fish for a little bit and some algae starts, go for a clean up crew - snails etc. Corals, depending on type, need time for the tank to stabilize more, so start with softies (mushrooms and zoas etc) and then move into lps and sps once alkalinity is stable. The types of tests you need will be dependent on the types of corals you're going to keep, but typically phosphates, nitrates, and ammonia are good tests to keep and then calcium, alkalinity, and anything you're going to dose are other tests to have (if keeping sps/lps corals). A good rule is always: don't dose if you don't test
Welcome to Reef2Reef! This is a great place to ask questions and learn, so you're right where you need to be! Plenty of knowledgeable and helpful people on these forums. I'm guessing it's been answered already, but once ammonia and nitrites are at zero and you have nitrates, your tank should be ready for the first fish to be added - don't add too many at once and overload the bioload. After you've had some fish for a little bit and some algae starts, go for a clean up crew - snails etc. Corals, depending on type, need time for the tank to stabilize more, so start with softies (mushrooms and zoas etc) and then move into lps and sps once alkalinity is stable. The types of tests you need will be dependent on the types of corals you're going to keep, but typically phosphates, nitrates, and ammonia are good tests to keep and then calcium, alkalinity, and anything you're going to dose are other tests to have (if keeping sps/lps corals). A good rule is always: don't dose if you don't test.
I’m going to try and get a few fish soon. I had my water tested and they told me the levels were good. How should I wait until I can add coral?

KevPool

Blue-Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. You are going to want to test for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate for the first while during your cycle. record all of your test. as you start to stock your tank keep it slow and test for those main 3 to look for any spikes. adding too many fish or corals at once can throw things out of balance. as you add more corals to your tank you are going to want to start testing for KH Cal and Mag your corals will use these up in your water column to help build their skeletal structure. the best thing you can do is keep things as consistent as possible with no big swings. oh yeah keep an eye on your PH that helps too. for testing it is best to try and do it at the same time of day if you can. Happy Reefing man.

ryan reynolds deadpool GIF

OP
OP
ChiTown81

ChiTown81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. You are going to want to test for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate for the first while during your cycle. record all of your test. as you start to stock your tank keep it slow and test for those main 3 to look for any spikes. adding too many fish or corals at once can throw things out of balance. as you add more corals to your tank you are going to want to start testing for KH Cal and Mag your corals will use these up in your water column to help build their skeletal structure. the best thing you can do is keep things as consistent as possible with no big swings. oh yeah keep an eye on your PH that helps too. for testing it is best to try and do it at the same time of day if you can. Happy Reefing man.

ryan reynolds deadpool GIF
Thanks for the advice

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME!
Here are some resources you may like

If you like to read

If you prefer video’s. This video series is “5 minute guide”, good info. BRS TV has lots of different series.

Here’s a getting the most out of Reef2Reef link

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Arthurfarris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure that your filters are in place and properly working. You will need them working once you start to cycle your saltwater tank. It is even better if you can use cycled filters that already have some beneficial bacteria in them. It can help speed up the process of cycling.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve taken the plunge in starting a saltwater tank. Right now I’m cycling my 40 gallon tank, but I’m not sure what tests I need to do weekly and other saltwater terminology ( dosing, cycling).
Welcome to Reef2Reef! We are glad you are here.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back