Saltwater noob

AshyLarry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey r2r gang, my name is Ashy Larry and I'm a complete noob to the whole aquarium thing. I decided I want to get into the hobby and I'm kinda feeling way over my head in information lol. I've watched countless videos and done tons of reading but still have no idea on where to start. I guess basics would be tank, stand, rock and sand would be the start (and water of course) I'm on the fence between a 150 and 200 gallon tank as my first tank. What I can't seem to find is what would be ideal equipment for a setup of this size? I would rather spend the money once on the major equipment than to continue to upgrade on down the line. This does not mean I want to spend 20k on initial setup haha. But I would say an overall 8k I feel comfortable spending. Not sure if that's high or low.

Also any pros and cons on going used on initial stuff like tank, and stand? My goals are to have a beautiful tank filled with a variety of corals. The tank will be going into the living room of a new construction house. So I am able to add additional electrical in the wall near the tank. I was thinking of two 20 amp circuits with 4 receptacles in each circuit. Would that be enough? Also anything else that I can during the construction phase to make life easier down the road. Ideally I would like this to last me well over 10+ years. I'm sure equipment will fail and my goals may change during the time of having my tank. But I want to make the most informed decisions on this new hobby as possible

School me r2r, someone perhaps take me under their wing haha. I need all the help I can get before I commit and spend a ton of money and face regret of not doing something right

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
116B7615-B4CB-4D80-909F-D2603F9BABEF.gif

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Larry and thanks for joining - lets eat this elephant one bite at a time -

I would say used equipment is ok to get started, and with G6 Radion out, there should be some G4 and 5's that are just fine.

I would stay away from used return pumps and heaters, but that is debatable.

Used powerbeads can be just fine too

and you power set up will depend on how large you are goin to go - 200 is a big tank to start with and having your own RODI set up and smart clean QT are great thing to start with

exciting times -
100.gif

Best of luck!!

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! There are many different ideas and recommendations that are all great. Besides location most decisions can be changed easily in the future. If I were to suggest anything at the start it would be to look into removing the sump and equipment from under the tank. This has been the best decision I have ever made, allowing for more room and ease of maintenance.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! We're I to plan a tank that large in a new construction house I would look at a small closet like filter room. One of the bigger built threads may have some good ideas for you.

For sure get yourself an rodi unit and quarantine setup. When I was getting in to saltwater I saw the rough budget of $25 per gallon. From my albeit limited experience, with a plan you can stick to that. I have not much of a plan.

It might be fun and good, if possible to start with something small now, 20 gallons or so that will become your qt tank. It might be an easy way to get your hands wet. Call it the pregame tank.

As usual with my advice though, I know enough to be dangerous.

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R Ashy! Tall order on your questions. There is a whole lot to know about a reef tank. The good news is you don't need to know it all at once. Having a dedicated circuit for the tank is a nice plus. If you're doing it anyway, have it wired as wet-area outlet with GFCI. As for the tank, I would say either buy a used set up (complete with plumbing) or buy a all-in-the-box new setup like those from Red Sea, Waterbox, CADE, Innovative Marine or AquaForest. That way a lot of the plumbing and filtration questions are more or less taken care of. Hope this helps as a start. Ask lots of questions.

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Definitely nothing wrong with used stuff. As many have said, avoid used heaters. Check all used equipment for issues and make sure the wires and sealed in tank magnetic mounts are in good condition.

If you are looking to buy a new system in that size, you will not ever find a better deal then these prostar aquariums. This is a 180 gallon display tank on the v2... i might buy one of these this winter. I already have the 160 gallon v1 for a cpuple years and love it.

Screenshot_20220618-101136_Chrome.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back