0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.
black ish appearance GIF

BrotatoSalad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! If I were you, I'd look at some build threads to get an idea on equipment for similar tanks to what you're planning. Most will post their equipment list and update the thread with their thoughts on what worked, and what needed to be changed out.

Wishing you the best on the new tank build, and the new house!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the salty side and the community Ashy! You first need to finalize what size tank you want because that will determine everything else. Ex: Once you know your tank size then you can get recommendations on sump size (if you go that route), pump, powerheads, lights, rock, skimmer, plumbing, etc, etc. You might want to consider premade setups like another member suggested because that takes someone of the guesswork out of it. At the same time you learn a lot when you put the tank package together piece by piece. I would suggest reposting your questions in the "new to saltwater" section. I look forward to seeing your setup. :)

OP
OP
AshyLarry

AshyLarry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and you power set up will depend on how large you are goin to go - 200 is a big tank to start with and having your own RODI set up and smart clean QT are great thing to start with
so @bnord and @Mschmidt I will need 2 tanks ? one for display and one as a qt tank ?

The filter room and floor drain does sounds like a good idea. Only issue is I don't think a floor drain would look good in my living room floor lol. Maybe I can plumb a drain into the wall and use that ‍♂️. Roughly how many outlets are needed for a tank?
For sure get yourself an rodi unit and quarantine setup. When I was getting in to saltwater I saw the rough budget of $25 per gallon. From my albeit limited experience, with a plan you can stick to that. I have not much of a plan.

It might be fun and good, if possible to start with something small now, 20 gallons or so that will become your qt tank. It might be an easy way to get your hands wet. Call it the pregame tank.

As usual with my advice though, I know enough to be dangerous.

Also, since it is new construction, why not put a floor drain near or under the tank. That will make water changes much easier.

OP
OP
AshyLarry

AshyLarry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. The learning curve is insane for saltwater, I feel like I've done so much research and still have not that many answers haha

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An all in one. Like the Red Sea and others would make it super easy to set up. If a floor drain is out of the question, like for me, I run a long syphon out by back door for water changes. The easier maintenance is. The more likely you are to do it. Plan how you will get water into and out of the tank.

It's daunting from the outside, but take it slow and learn from mistakes. You'll be fine.

A qt tank can save a lot of heartache in the future. Mine's a 10 gallon tank with an hob filter and small heater and a lid. I fill it when I need to otherwise it sits dry and ready. I've also qt'd freshwater fish in a 5 gallon bucket with a sponge filter.

For plugs, count as many things as you'll be plugging in then add a few extra. I run everything through a surge protector but want a battery backup.

OP
OP
AshyLarry

AshyLarry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will get a qt tank, one to get my feet wet and 2 it will be for qt when I finally pull the trigger on the big tank, would something like a 20 gallon suffice? Would I have to keep the qt running at all times after the main tank is setulp? So I've decided I want a 6 ft long tank, seems that puts me in the 160-180 gallon range. I've noticed that most stands are made out of wood, I was considering getting something welded up and power coated to prevent rust as well as being much stronger than wood. As far as sump goes what would be a good size for the system? I guess the smart thing to do would be start a fowlr tank and as I get the hang of things, slowly start introducing corals. Might also save some $ on the up front cost of things. Feel free to weigh in with any options/suggestions.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need to keep it running if you want to keep the cycle going. I break mine down after the fish are out and rest ammonia twice a day when I have it up. 20 should be fine, but plan what figs you want and get what they need for the time frame you have.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back