Sam's Oceanic 120 - DIY solutions

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I was Tung-oiling my kids new workbench and I had the windows open in the basement and the tank got too hot and had to put bags of ice in it to cool it off. So, I put a fan to help with the cooling and omg its really flattening out my heating curves.
IMG_1130.jpg
I am really surprised how much a 140mm fan will cool.
I'm going to be digging a "geothermal well" ish for the quail. I'm thinking just a little fan to draw air out of the well and push it into the bottom of the coop. It'll draw the warm air from the top, run it through a 375 gallon tote buried in the ground under the old chicken coop. I'm hoping it lowers ambient temperature in the coop enough to keep the babies alive next time.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Your fan is crooked.
Crooked fans blow the air more randomly which helps with the cooling coefficient and makes the "C" Value of the pipe more effective.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm going to be digging a "geothermal well" ish for the quail. I'm thinking just a little fan to draw air out of the well and push it into the bottom of the coop. It'll draw the warm air from the top, run it through a 375 gallon tote buried in the ground under the old chicken coop. I'm hoping it lowers ambient temperature in the coop enough to keep the babies alive next time.
I think you'll be surprised how well that will actually work. good thinking!

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The Petco near me has a tilefish for $60... so tempted to get it. They're stunning... but jumpers.
Mine had a Melanarus (sp?) for $30. I almost bought it... I don't know that I'm ready for one yet though.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can't... They're sold out. I'm staring at the tank right now hoping he pops out...

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually went to a different Petco today and they had one in stock. The problem is they had it labeled as a Lunare Wrasse for double the price.
You can correct them via their own website and they will fix the price.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You can correct them via their own website and they will fix the price.
I tried that once. They actually told me they didn't care - they're selling it as what they bought it as.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that once. They actually told me they didn't care - they're selling it as what they bought it as.
I would have called corporate right there lol. Yup, Grandpa Steve would have been Karen at that moment lol.

OP
OP
Projects with Sam

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
oh yeah; I'da totally Karen'd that. I'm getting so stodgy when it comes to aquariums that the other day I regret to mention I got the lfs to honor the posted price of $1.49 for ridged airline tubing instead of $1.59... It wasn't until I left and was sitting in my car that I realized what I had just done.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah; I'da totally Karen'd that. I'm getting so stodgy when it comes to aquariums that the other day I regret to mention I got the lfs to honor the posted price of $1.49 for ridged airline tubing instead of $1.59... It wasn't until I left and was sitting in my car that I realized what I had just done.
Yea but at least you didn’t try to swallow that feeling…..then released your anger by writing a scathing review……gotta work on my confrontational skills haha

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back