Sand and Color

  • Thread starter Thread starter mahi03
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mahi03

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 25, 2024
Messages
41
Reaction score
11
Location
San Francisco, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
In the process of setting up my first mixed-reef build, and gone down a deep rabbit hole into selecting a good sand.

Seems like there is a plethora of "pink" sands available, and I'm wondering, why pink? Is there a visual effect that pink sand has under certain spectrums of light? Do the pink bits of quartz create a certain contrast that non-pink sands don't have? What am I missing?

As of now, I'm leaning towards mixing 1:1 tropic eden mesoflakes with either minflakes or tonga pink (pending education from this thread).
 
Its all for cosmetics. Some people like the look. I like mine white. The more important consideration is grain size, which I assume you’ve already researched if you’re asking about color.
 
So my Fiji pink sand does not look pink in tank, it looks white, in the package it looked more beige. I like the look of the finer sands as well, but mine is not the super fine that stirs up so easily.
 
I wonder if I should use black sand to show off the color of my Rock flower anemones and Zoanthus. I am start a 40 gal AIO cube for these two groups. Under actinic light.
 
In the process of setting up my first mixed-reef build, and gone down a deep rabbit hole into selecting a good sand.

Seems like there is a plethora of "pink" sands available, and I'm wondering, why pink? Is there a visual effect that pink sand has under certain spectrums of light? Do the pink bits of quartz create a certain contrast that non-pink sands don't have? What am I missing?

As of now, I'm leaning towards mixing 1:1 tropic eden mesoflakes with either minflakes or tonga pink (pending education from this thread).
Carib sea have fiji pink and other fine grades that work well, Be leery of black as it contains magnetic particles which stick to magnet glass cleaners and will scratch your glass
 
Carib sea have fiji pink and other fine grades that work well, Be leery of black as it contains magnetic particles which stick to magnet glass cleaners and will scratch your glass
Thanks. No black sand for me.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new