Sand Bed for Wrasse?

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a BB system gonna be adding a Yellow Coris or Melanrus Wrasse to eat the Zoa eating Nudibranchs I have and other reef pests. I was just going to add a bowl with fine sand for it to sleep and be happy.

1. Should the bowl be either glass or plastic?

2. Can I just get some sand from my LFS from there tank?

3. Best pests eating, reef safe, peaceful Wrasse?

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I use plastic bowls in QT/TTM, but I think if I was going to leave it long term I would use glass.
2. I would use a finer sand, freshly rinsed out of a new bag.
3. Almost every frag tank I've seen at the LFS has a six line wrasse in it.
But my best wrasse for inspecting every square inch of the rocks and corals has been H. biocellatus.
He's relentless and spends every waking moment inspecting everything.
He's not reef safe in that he might eat smaller snails but he's very peaceful.
H. melanurus inspects most things too, but usually he's just swimming mid water column.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I use plastic bowls in QT/TTM, but I think if I was going to leave it long term I would use glass.
2. I would use a finer sand, freshly rinsed out of a new bag.
3. Almost every frag tank I've seen at the LFS has a six line wrasse in it.
But my best wrasse for inspecting every square inch of the rocks and corals has been H. biocellatus.
He's relentless and spends every waking moment inspecting everything.
He's not reef safe in that he might eat smaller snails but he's very peaceful.
H. melanurus inspects most things too, but usually he's just swimming mid water column.

What does TTM mean?

I have heard six lines can be a little aggressive.

I do have Astera and Trochus snails that are medium sized not sure if H biocellatus would bother them. The melanrus just looks awesome so does your biocellatus

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM = tank transfer method. A method of relieving (symptomatic or asymptomatic) fish of marine ich before introducing them into the display tank.

I have also heard that six lines can be aggressive, so I won't have one, just my preference. I'm sure they can be fine upstanding citizens with the right mix.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM = tank transfer method. A method of relieving (symptomatic or asymptomatic) fish of marine ich before introducing them into the display tank.

I have also heard that six lines can be aggressive, so I won't have one, just my preference. I'm sure they can be fine upstanding citizens with the right mix.

yes each system is unique in its own way certain fish can coexist in there own way....have you had experience with the H. Biocellatus?

Pongo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I currently have 1 H. biocellatus, 1 H. melanurus, 1 C. rubeus and 1 M. ornatus.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on skipping the six-line, they can definitely be a terror, but great frag tank fish.

Melanurus, Crysus, or Richmondi are all good choices.

One of the easier leopards would be good as well (meleagris, bipartus, negrosensis, etc) My meleagris is always hunting.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on skipping the six-line, they can definitely be a terror, but great frag tank fish.

Melanurus, Crysus, or Richmondi are all good choices.

One of the easier leopards would be good as well (meleagris, bipartus, negrosensis, etc) My meleagris is always hunting.

cool thanks, deciding between the melanrus and yellow coris

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool thanks, deciding between the melanrus and yellow coris

I've had both, the melanurus is one of my all-time favorite fish. Colorful and lots of personality.

Can't beat the yellow on the crysus though - very bright. Both are great fish, the only issue I've ever had is the occasional hermit being snagged [emoji12]

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had both, the melanurus is one of my all-time favorite fish. Colorful and lots of personality.

Can't beat the yellow on the crysus though - very bright. Both are great fish, the only issue I've ever had is the occasional hermit being snagged [emoji12]

very true the color on the melanurus is what draws me too it, I have a yellow tang that is bright yellow...wanted something a little different

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a BB system gonna be adding a Yellow Coris or Melanrus Wrasse to eat the Zoa eating Nudibranchs I have and other reef pests. I was just going to add a bowl with fine sand for it to sleep and be happy.

1. Should the bowl be either glass or plastic?

2. Can I just get some sand from my LFS from there tank?

3. Best pests eating, reef safe, peaceful Wrasse?
1. Doesn't matter
2. I wouldn't - that's a potential disease transfer. Just buy a bag of new sand.
3. No species of Halichoeres is guaranteed to eat them. Any of the species mentioned already here are about equally as likely.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Doesn't matter
2. I wouldn't - that's a potential disease transfer. Just buy a bag of new sand.
3. No species of Halichoeres is guaranteed to eat them. Any of the species mentioned already here are about equally as likely.

Ok thanks, think I have narrowed it down

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was mentioned to use a fine sand for Wrasses any particular type of sand name?
No; it doesn't need to be sugar grain size by any means. 2-4mm works just fine.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the yellow and purple wrasse. Nice pearly pinks and greens throughout the face and tail. Wish it kept all the four spots. They faded and 2 came back. He is always swimming back and forth. I have 16 zoa frags. You can see the mm size sand being a salt and pepper. That is about as thick as you want to go. I would like to mention that he has a spot to hide in the sand that is different from his sleep spot.

IMG_20170420_135736.jpg

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the yellow and purple wrasse. Nice pearly pinks and greens throughout the face and tail. Wish it kept all the four spots. They faded and 2 came back. He is always swimming back and forth. I have 16 zoa frags. You can see the mm size sand being a salt and pepper. That is about as thick as you want to go. I would like to mention that he has a spot to hide in the sand that is different from his sleep spot.

IMG_20170420_135736.jpg

nice looking fishes

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back