Sand sifting Diamond Goby interesting behavior

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just introduced a diamond goby into my 90g cube. Such an interesting fish. I find myself observing this fish constantly. During the day, it goes around and stirs up all the sand. When the lights began to dim, the goby goes to its cave and starts to fill the mouth of its cave with sand. At first, I thought I thought it was crazy as it spend a good several hours cleaning out its cave. The goby left a very small opening and when the lights are almost completely gone dark, it darts into its cave. Then I notice that it begins to fill the opening with more sand from the inside. By the time the lights go out, the fish is completely covered up the cave.

In the morning, the cave is no longer cave. Its just sand next to a rock. When the lights starts to come on around 10am, the fish comes out and starts cleaning up the entrance to the cave again.

Andresnyc93

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they’re very smart, they’ll cover all other entrances to their cave and dig them out in the morning once again.
it’s all about survival

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just introduced a diamond goby into my 90g cube. Such an interesting fish. I find myself observing this fish constantly. During the day, it goes around and stirs up all the sand. When the lights began to dim, the goby goes to its cave and starts to fill the mouth of its cave with sand. At first, I thought I thought it was crazy as it spend a good several hours cleaning out its cave. The goby left a very small opening and when the lights are almost completely gone dark, it darts into its cave. Then I notice that it begins to fill the opening with more sand from the inside. By the time the lights go out, the fish is completely covered up the cave.

In the morning, the cave is no longer cave. Its just sand next to a rock. When the lights starts to come on around 10am, the fish comes out and starts cleaning up the entrance to the cave again.
They are cool to watch and this normal. It is how they seal themselves off to protect themselves while they sleep. It is also sot of an alarm system, as they would sense the sand being moved. One thing I noticed, was mine lways has a second entrance/exit. Pretty smart and cool tbh.

OP
OP
Sleepingtiger

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People ask me why I don't get goldfish as they are more colorful and easier to maintain. I am not sure why i get an urge to kick them out of my house.

Just looking at a goldfish and I want to puke.

I am so fascinated by marine fish from their social structure like anthias, the behavior of gobies and dottybacks, the sheer beauty of angels and butterflies. The symbiosis relationship between clown and anemone, goby and pistol shrimp. Its really amazing.

How someone can only keep yellow tang, wrasse and a clown fish in a 300g tank full of sticks is beyond me.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People ask me why I don't get goldfish as they are more colorful and easier to maintain. I am not sure why i get an urge to kick them out of my house.

Just looking at a goldfish and I want to puke.

I am so fascinated by marine fish from their social structure like anthias, the behavior of gobies and dottybacks, the sheer beauty of angels and butterflies. The symbiosis relationship between clown and anemone, goby and pistol shrimp. Its really amazing.

How someone can only keep yellow tang, wrasse and a clown fish in a 300g tank full of sticks is beyond me.
I know right! I’d MUCH rather have a 300g tank filled to the brim with small 2” fish, a group of wrasse just for the fact of how curious they can be and a group of tilefish (Again, they’re small and act like puppies).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back