Sand-sifting Gobies filter...

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the market for a sand sifting goby to help keep my sand bed fresh and clean.

I am not interested in a shrimp-paired goby, nor do I want the diamond sleeper with orange spots everyone under the sun has... plus I have fungis and plan to get some trach's jn the future and dont wanna deal with the mess diamonds are notorious for.

I want something more unique, that will still get the job done. I had a 2- spotted/signal goby before, and wouldnt mind another. But my tank is 6ft long, and I just dont think a signal is big enough to handle the job. Although I would be open to have 2 smaller sand sifters in together.

Any recommendations? I see dozens of gobies on LA, DD, and Bluezoo... but not sure which ones are workers and which are lazy...

Recommendations?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the market for a sand sifting goby to help keep my sand bed fresh and clean.

I am not interested in a shrimp-paired goby, nor do I want the diamond sleeper with orange spots everyone under the sun has... plus I have fungis and plan to get some trach's jn the future and dont wanna deal with the mess diamonds are notorious for.

I want something more unique, that will still get the job done. I had a 2- spotted/signal goby before, and wouldnt mind another. But my tank is 6ft long, and I just dont think a signal is big enough to handle the job. Although I would be open to have 2 smaller sand sifters in together.

Any recommendations? I see dozens of gobies on LA, DD, and Bluezoo... but not sure which ones are workers and which are lazy...

Recommendations?

Hello again Rich!

Any “sifter” goby will present the risk of covering a coral with sand. I’m in the same boat as I would like one, but I haven’t made it past the “risk” point yet.

Anyway, a very cool and different goby that will soft sand, swim in the water column, AND even munc on a little GHA is the sleeper handed goby. Amblygobius phalaena.

Check it out a look at some YouTube videos.

Mike

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a blue spotted watchman goby that sifts sand, though not as much as the Diamonds do. He's really pretty, has long black fins and is about 5" long.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 31 15.5%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 47 23.5%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 114 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back