Sand sifting starfish needs help

Omarons

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 24, 2019
Messages
127
Reaction score
37
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pistol shrimp took large chunks off of my sand sifting starfish
Some of the legs are torn and the mouth seems to be impaired

do you think the starfish could live ?
It is still moving for now

the pistol shrimp will be donated , this is the 3rd fish/invert he has murdered
C60F1D73-1F2D-4DDF-83C4-BFDE3F3599D2.jpeg
0C867983-05D0-4A04-A1AB-5D80F8D65099.jpeg
C60F1D73-1F2D-4DDF-83C4-BFDE3F3599D2.jpeg
2FFE1335-30CC-4F6A-9556-5091812EE866.jpeg
 
I mean, starfish are known to be able to regenerate lost limbs, but yeah. The mouth looks beat up, and I am not a starfish expert, so no clue about their healing capabilities with regards to the mouth area. I'm sure someone on #reefsquad knows more.
 
Sand sifting stars usually do not last long in captivity... they starve to death after cleaning the sand.

Maybe the shrimp took advantage of a dying star!

I’d suggest not buying another sand sifting star.
 
I have had a sand sifting star live for years before a fish ate it. They can heal from a lot of trauma. Let it be and keep an eye on it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new