Scalloped bulkhead hole

Rabidsquirrel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel like I know the answer already, but I figured I ask. I drilled my 210 for some 2" bulk heads, and I had some scalloping on the outside of the tank. The hole is 2-7/8. The chipping is about 1/2" tall and less than a 1/16th of an inch in depth. What's the opinion of the mighty masses?

-edit-

Tank glass is 1/2" thick.

13101.jpg

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I know the answer already, but I figured I ask. I drilled my 210 for some 2" bulk heads, and I had some scalloping on the outside of the tank. The hole is 2-7/8. The chipping is about 1/2" tall and less than a 1/16th of an inch in depth. What's the opinion of the mighty masses?

-edit-

Tank glass is 1/2" thick.

13101.jpg
I think you might have a problem with that long term. Let’s see what everyone has to say.

OP
OP
R

Rabidsquirrel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here's some more pictures, the second one captures the chip at its deepest. It's hard to get a good angle since everything is so shallow. The shadow makes it look a little deeper than it is.

20220704_145735.jpg 20220704_145713.jpg

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depending on what its used for you may never have a problem. If its just for a bulkhead connection then the gasket/seal is on the inside so you shouldnt have a problem. If its for an overflow where you use 2 gaskets you may get into a little weirdness.

If you really wanted to create a flat surface you could use epoxy to fill it in and then level it so you didnt have an uneven surface. you could do 95% of it while its tacky with just a razor or straight edge

OP
OP
R

Rabidsquirrel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Depending on what its used for you may never have a problem. If its just for a bulkhead connection then the gasket/seal is on the inside so you shouldnt have a problem. If its for an overflow where you use 2 gaskets you may get into a little weirdness.

If you really wanted to create a flat surface you could use epoxy to fill it in and then level it so you didnt have an uneven surface. you could do 95% of it while its tacky with just a razor or straight edge

So, that picture is from the outside looking into the tank. It'll be Bulkhead flange, gasket, glass, another gasket, modular marine ghost overflow, nut. Same repeated on the other hole. I just I'm just worried about catastrophic failure. I think I'm going to take some sandpaper to any sharp edges and take another look.

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, that picture is from the outside looking into the tank. It'll be Bulkhead flange, gasket, glass, another gasket, modular marine ghost overflow, nut. Same repeated on the other hole. I just I'm just worried about catastrophic failure. I think I'm going to take some sandpaper to any sharp edges and take another look.
If it were me id epoxy fill it to make it more sealable

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the roughness/chipping is on the outside it’s fine

OP
OP
R

Rabidsquirrel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Little update: All went well with the last hole. Only had a few leaks from unions that I forgot to tighten, nothing from my bulkheads. As the tank stands now I have some dry rock sitting in there and an old light from my planted tank. I'll probably drain the freshwater out tomorrow and start working on my aquascape. Once the tank is ready to start cycling I'll skin the stand and make some doors.

At this point nothing is really finalized yet. Not going to paint my control board until everything is in its final place.

20220813_150923.jpg

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update: All went well with the last hole. Only had a few leaks from unions that I forgot to tighten, nothing from my bulkheads. As the tank stands now I have some dry rock sitting in there and an old light from my planted tank. I'll probably drain the freshwater out tomorrow and start working on my aquascape. Once the tank is ready to start cycling I'll skin the stand and make some doors.

At this point nothing is really finalized yet. Not going to paint my control board until everything is in its final place.

20220813_150923.jpg
looking good! Is that going to be your sump water level? It seems a bit hight for the RedSea skimmer.
Let me know how it goes with the Skimmer. Still struggling with mine. Not that I don't think I can overcome it. but it's a process

OP
OP
R

Rabidsquirrel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
looking good! Is that going to be your sump water level? It seems a bit hight for the RedSea skimmer.
Let me know how it goes with the Skimmer. Still struggling with mine. Not that I don't think I can overcome it. but it's a process

Not sure, still have freshwater in the tank. I think the water level has to be about that high because I start to create whirlpool from the return pump. I might have to raise the skimmer a bit.

I had that same sump, skimmer, return and ato container on my 120.

How the hell did you fit it all? I'm struggling with this footprint and my 30" tall stand...

Jbell370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure, still have freshwater in the tank. I think the water level has to be about that high because I start to create whirlpool from the return pump. I might have to raise the skimmer a bit.

How the hell did you fit it all? I'm struggling with this footprint and my 30" tall stand...
It’s always a tight fit, worse on the new one but eventually it all comes together and works out.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back