schg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh tank:
adapreview.png

On October 9th, 2009, I received my ADA 30C as a sort of replacement for an idea to create a completely clean nano setup, with absolutely NO visible equipment. It has been a very expensive, time consuming, and frustrating journey, but I am almost finished with the build and am happy with the results so far! Here I will try to show parts of the build, and hopefully I'll be able to answer any questions you guys may have!

Water test:
watertest.png

As far as equipment goes, this tank packs (will pack) quite a bit of power for such a small unit. The tank currently has a Vortech MP10 in a custom housing at the bottom of the tank, a fully custom 9 LED unit featuring Cree XR-Es, a fully custom sump with a Rio+ 1400 return pump, and a Reefkeeper light behind the helm. I will be adding a Tunze 9002 skimmer, and an ice probe chiller when the budget allows.

OLD sump and plumbing shot:
DSC_0422.jpg

I (nervously) drilled the tank a few days after receiving it, and started prepping it for plumbing. This was a very nerve wracking experience, but for those that have wanted to drill a smaller high clarity ADA tank, feel free to try it as the tanks are not tempered!

PVC test:
pvcs.png

I hand built the stand using some 2x4's for a bit of overkill, hoping to avoid having any nosy cats knocking the tank over. I also created a custom box to house all of the electronics in, which I will seal off from moisture / salt.

Stand:
DSC_0419.jpg

I finally made enough money selling old fish stuff to afford the Vortech (got it for a steal too!) and was able to do a quick test of all the plumbing.

Second water test:
DSC_0418.jpg

After that, I finally finished epoxying rocks to the overflow and returns, and finished off the custom Vortech box.

Rockwork, with Vortech exposed:
DSC_0417-3.jpg

I finally filled it early in February, and transferred a few frags and rock I had growing in a 10 gallon. I've since purchased a few other small frags (I'm trying to keep to smaller frags so this doesn't grow out too fast), but the tank is still relatively empty. I plan on housing with mostly zoas and SPS, with a bit of LPS sprinkled in. Fish will probably be a pair of baby clowns until they're too big, and possibly a pair of sharknose gobies.

FTS from early February:
DSC_0417-5.jpg

Enjoy!

OP
OP
schg

schg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an updated FTS from 02/17/10 showing the new sand bed and coral (ignore the Vortech placement, working on a new and improved housing):
DSC_0432.jpg

Purple deaths:
DSC_0425.jpg

Chalice (any idea?):
DSC_0426.jpg

Ponape birds nest:
DSC_0428.jpg

Eagle eyes and 2 baby fire and ice:
DSC_0429.jpg

Baby frogspawn, blue hornets (blue steel?), and an angry frag of fire and ice:
DSC_0430.jpg

Blue ice and fire and ice?:
DSC_0431.jpg

Sorry the pictures suck, we don't have a macro lens for the D40, so I borrowed one from my old '70s Nikon, and we don't have a tripod either so I stacked boxes on top of a stepladder.

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great idea, I like the concept of having the overflow on the bottom covered in rock so you don't see any tank overflows.....

cheers,
Darren

OP
OP
schg

schg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!

Picked up some new frags last night, figured I would post pictures up:

Chips:
022110-001.jpg

Hyacinth, and you can see the chesterfield and the monti cap in the background:
022110-002.jpg

Chesterfield:
022110-003.jpg

Monti cap:
022110-004.jpg

New frags provided by MitchReef! :xd:

And a few tank shots:

022110-FTS.jpg

022110-005.jpg

022110-006.jpg

Enjoy!

OP
OP
schg

schg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns!
022810-001.jpg

I did find a really cheap Onyx baby though, about the same size, so I may end up selling the normal of the two Ocellaris and buying the Onyx to pair with the misbar. Who knows.

Edit:
Also picked up a nice little blasto frag from Sea in the City the other day:
022710-001.jpg

OP
OP
schg

schg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is coming together. Thanks for sharing. Nice frag pick ups.

Thank ya kindly!

Got a few more things today, only spent $10. :happy:
Need an ID on this one, it doesn't look so 'armor of god'ish in person, and the center is fairly green. Some thoughts on other boards are Lord of the Rings, but mine seem a bit different in person.
030210-001.jpg

Wifey picked this one out (the zoas on the right):
030210-002.jpg

They're more yellow in person, I just am having a hard time taking good pictures without a tripod. This rock also had some very bright, huge green palys, but I don't want to keep them so I broke them off to sell. Maybe I'll still take a picture of them when they open.

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats what i was wondering, about the vortech on the bottom
i thought that would be really interesting placement

OP
OP
schg

schg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find those deals in CFL?

Places...haha. Well I tend to talk my way into getting deals, sometimes just being nice enough can get you a great price at a shop you aren't even familiar with. The only places I shop at are World Wide Corals, Sea in the City and Aquarium Fanatics though.

What happened to the vortech in the bottom? :)

Lookin good..

thats what i was wondering, about the vortech on the bottom
i thought that would be really interesting placement

Temporarily on the side while I fix an issue with sand getting in. I can't work on it because I lost my bit for my Dremmel, and I'm honestly just too lazy to go buy some. I swear I'll get around to fixing it soon! :crossedlips:

looking great!

Thanks!

OP
OP
schg

schg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small spot for chaeto in the sump, but I didn't really think I would have the room for a fuge. When I incorporate these ideas into a larger setup, I will be doing a fuge, but it just wasn't an option for this tank. But glad to hear someone else will be doing this style!

FTS as of 03/09/10:
030910-FTS.jpg

Just some new shots:
030910-001.jpg

030910-002.jpg

030910-003.jpg

030910-004.jpg

030910-005.jpg

030910-006.jpg

Small sampler of SPS, the 30k Lokani didn't make it it seems =[
030910-007.jpg

OP
OP
schg

schg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new stuff is on here:
030910-008.jpg

030910-010.jpg

And the new montis, rainbow and superman:
030910-009.jpg

And I will be tracking the growth of this 5 color rainbow acan that I got as a rescue, hopefully it does well:
031010-001.jpg

OP
OP
schg

schg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today is a sad day for me...

I finally decided to give up on the bottom mounted Vortech, it just won't work with how I had already configured this tank. I may eventually move everything over to another tank in an attempt to drill it again for a closed loop, but for now this is how the tank will remain:
031210-FTS.jpg

I ****** everything off, broke a lot of SPS, and in my opinion ruined my tank today, but oh well. Gotta deal with what you're given.
:-/

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks good even if the vortech is on the side and not the bottom. I really like how you have your rockwork laid out.

Now stop messing with your tank I want to see those frags grow!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 127 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 55 15.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back