School Ecosystem Long Island Sound

SchoolEcosystem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have an established ecosystem in a half circle 35 gallon salt water tank. I have a 4 level canister filter.

I HAD 5 hermit crabs , 4 decent size and one smaller than your fingernail (all with shells)

I entered my 5th grade classroom today to find remains of a molt but no crab.

What are the chances it's tankmates devoured it ?

Crab was active and normal on Friday, only remains remain by Monday

ISFNick

Nano Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dory.gif
\
Please send pics of the tank! I've never seen a classroom reef!

OP
OP
SchoolEcosystem

SchoolEcosystem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone, the class has enjoyed hearing from all of you. I will post a picture/video tomorrow. My filtration is not strong enough to suck the crab body up as it was almost 3 inches.

I think it's hungry crabmates ate it in it's weakened state.

RIP Fuzzy, your energy will be absorbed into our ecosystem in the never ending exchange of matter across the ecosystem

Frag Farm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have an established ecosystem in a half circle 35 gallon salt water tank. I have a 4 level canister filter.

I HAD 5 hermit crabs , 4 decent size and one smaller than your fingernail (all with shells)

Hermit crabs ALWAYS get away with murder!! One time when I was a kid I had a yellow tang in my tank with a few hermit crabs that were on the larger side, but still not bigger than the tang. I woke up one morning and the tang had completely disappeared, I was so confused. I decided to do a full tank cleaning and found pin bones and a few yellow scales, but that was it!!! It's amazing how fast they can kill, eat, and clean up. By the way, we think it's awesome you have a tank for educational purposes. If you'd like you can email us at [email protected] and we'll send you a discount code. We'd love to help educate the youth of ocean ecosystems!! Visit our website fragfarmcoral.com for more info.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome! Glad you joined. Sorry for your loss... personally soft shell crab is a delicacy back in Maryland where I'm from so suspect it's tank mates thought so too. However, I've also had a fish disappear for an entire month in my tank without any trace, so I'll keep my fingers crossed for your crab to show back up.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. Like you, I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.84/

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back