SchoolEcosystem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced three new sea urchins to my long island sound tank yesterday. Floated them as I thought was appropriate amount of time (about 4 hours) I also added a couple mummychugs and two green crabs.

Upon returning to my tank this morning all three urchins are flipped on their "backs" with one of the three urchins hollowed out. (One marine crab perched on the outside leads me to believe one of the urchins was a snack)

I am wondering if my salinity was too high to cause them to die. In addition, would the other two still with meat in the center be a viable scavenging target for the other crabs? (hermit and green)

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, tips and ideas are always welcome!

-School Ecosystem,
Groton CT

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having been raised on Long Island’s north shore (waterfront property), I had to check out your thread. When I was 10 I used to scoop up some water from the Sound and a few small eels, tiny fish, etc., and put together a small tank in my bedroom. NO source of oxygenation, because I figured, Hey… the ocean doesn’t have an air stone!!?’ Obviously I was too young to understand the necessity of ‘wave action.’ Lol.

OP
OP
SchoolEcosystem

SchoolEcosystem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having been raised on Long Island’s north shore (waterfront property), I had to check out your thread. When I was 10 I used to scoop up some water from the Sound and a few small eels, tiny fish, etc., and put together a small tank in my bedroom. NO source of oxygenation, because I figured, Hey… the ocean doesn’t have an air stone!!?’ Obviously I was too young to understand the necessity of ‘wave action.’ Lol.
We never really lose, only win or learn!

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity level in sound is lower than what we target n most reef tanks, and water temps this time of year are in the 50s

OP
OP
SchoolEcosystem

SchoolEcosystem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity level in sound is lower than what we target n most reef tanks, and water temps this time of year are in the 50s
Yes I collected the urchins from a local source. When I am testing my salinity it comes in around 31. My tank is near the window so the heat from the sun keeps me right around 60.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced three new sea urchins to my long island sound tank yesterday. Floated them as I thought was appropriate amount of time (about 4 hours) I also added a couple mummychugs and two green crabs.

Upon returning to my tank this morning all three urchins are flipped on their "backs" with one of the three urchins hollowed out. (One marine crab perched on the outside leads me to believe one of the urchins was a snack)

I am wondering if my salinity was too high to cause them to die. In addition, would the other two still with meat in the center be a viable scavenging target for the other crabs? (hermit and green)

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, tips and ideas are always welcome!

-School Ecosystem,
Groton CT
params? temp? salinity? urchin species? Did you have the urchins in air for long?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the urchins are long island natives than that salinity is fine (maybe even a bit high)
Yes I collected the urchins from a local source. When I am testing my salinity it comes in around 31. My tank is near the window so the heat from the sun keeps me right around 60.
Salinity level in the sound fluctuates between 27-32. Your level of 31 should be fine, except they can’t tolerate more than a couple of points change per 24 hours. From what you describe it sounds like salt shock. Maybe test current salinity level in the sound and give it another try

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity level in the sound fluctuates between 27-32. Your level of 31 should be fine, except they can’t tolerate more than a couple of points change per 24 hours. From what you describe it sounds like salt shock. Maybe test current salinity level in the sound and give it another try
OP floated, I would recommend using drip.

salinity can very from place to place in the sound. Unless OP can test the salinity around where they were collected IDK if it would help all to much

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP floated, I would recommend using drip.

salinity can very from place to place in the sound. Unless OP can test the salinity around where they were collected IDK if it would help all to much
And vary after rain, currents, tides….
Just test the water you collect them with.
While a slow drip is better, more than 2 points a day not good

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would also guess that a smallish tank on a window sill has too much temp swing

OP
OP
SchoolEcosystem

SchoolEcosystem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
salinity is a tad high, 60s seems fine, make sure temp/salinity doesn't fluctuate

good point
I think the temp is the problem, one of the three urchins has been scavenged, I am keeping an eye out on the other two who are upside down hoping they can be part of the food web!

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the temp is the problem, one of the three urchins has been scavenged, I am keeping an eye out on the other two who are upside down hoping they can be part of the food web!
Salinity is more likely IMO. Urchins need drip and can be harmed from prolonged air exposure

OP
OP
SchoolEcosystem

SchoolEcosystem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is more likely IMO. Urchins need drip and can be harmed from prolonged air exposure
What do you mean by drip? The urchins came from LIS went into a bucket of sea water, acclimated in the tank and then dropped in after about 4 hours of acclimation

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by drip? The urchins came from LIS went into a bucket of sea water, acclimated in the tank and then dropped in after about 4 hours of acclimation
So did you not exchange tank water with the bucket water?

I'm in Haddam, not to far from the sound.

OP
OP
SchoolEcosystem

SchoolEcosystem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back