Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept a Long Island Sound tank for many years.

I also used to have an Urchin collecting and selling business with Sound urchins. (Urchin Searchin Ent.) I would collect about 50 a day using SCUBA. They are pretty hard to kill unless as you found out, you heat them up.

They really don't even require acclimation more than a few minutes. I used to feed them a head of lettuce every day and once I had to many so I put 24 of them in my reef where they all decided to spawn at the same time. What a mess but nothing died.

You can keep small blowfish, starfish, pipefish, seahorses, sea robins, hermit, green and fiddler crabs.

Those Sound tanks are really interesting.

I still use Sound water in my reef and collect it behind my house. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
SchoolEcosystem

SchoolEcosystem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also used to have an Urchin collecting and selling business with Sound urchins. (Urchin Searchin Ent.) I would collect about 50 a day using SCUBA. They are pretty hard to kill unless as you found out, you heat them up.

They really don't even require acclimation more than a few minutes. I used to feed them a head of lettuce every day and once I had to many so I put 24 of them in my reef where they all decided to spawn at the same time. What a mess but nothing died.

You can keep small blowfish, starfish, pipefish, seahorses, sea robins, hermit, green and fiddler crabs.

I still use Sound water in my reef and collect it behind my house. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Great pictures, thanks for the reference. So it sounds like the temperature got the best of them. I like LIS tanks too there is cool stuff out there. The pipe fish are great

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used to collect it for my last tank. I got a little nervous about all the runoff though for drivers and streams. That made me stop.

Edit: I guess if I had a LIS only tank, it wouldn't matter.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to collect it for my last tank. I got a little nervous about all the runoff though for drivers and streams. That made me stop.
My tank is 51 years old. So far that water hasn't hurt anything but I fear at 52 years something bad may happen. :(

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
80B1B7CC-71A9-4796-8D1E-8D8E189B773D.jpeg

… speaking of Long Island Sound, I found the decanter that is filled with the wave-worn ‘beach glass’ that my family and I collected over the span of 30 years. Whites, greens, browns, and even some blues… which if I recall correctly was from the Pepto-Bismol bottles of the day. :)

SWtankLISct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting together a saltwater LIS tank from an old curriculum packet bc they stopped doing it after COVID..We are shooting to get three to four mummichog, a green crab, two hermits and three to four mud snails..Set up the tank today according to the instructions..I remember when my older daughters class set up six years ago we had some small clear grass fed shrimp..But don’t remember how we caught them— it was late September though..Any ideas?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back