Scoly splitting at the seems

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this slit in the side of the scoly a week ago, And today it's almost completly vertical a sort of "unzipping" from the bottom of the scoly's flesh to the top. Any suggestions on how I can correct this. The skeleton is clean and not growing anything over it, so I don't think the flesh is dying, it's splitting open for some reason. Anyone ever see anything like this and know the cause? Sorry, it's tough to get a great picture of the splitting flesh. but it's close to 1/4" wide if not larger.

1608408595755.png

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see this, what are your parameters?

Something is up with the water for flesh to do this.
I think I found the problem. I corrected it yesterday and already it's flesh is more puffy and starting the healing process. I had let the salinity creep up. . Salinity was 1.027 when I tested it after a water change yesterday. Only change out 20 gallons on 350 gallon system. So, it had been creeping up over the last 3-4 water changes.

I changed out 10 gallons and replaced with 10 gallons of RODI water. Brought it from 1.027 down to 1.025.

Before I reduced it stats were: alk 9.9, phosphates between .12 and .16, calcium 440-480, mg 1440-1480. PH was getting low around 7.98 when it had been between 8.08 and 8.2.

When I dropped the salinity the ph rose significantly and staying around 8.1 again. All my corals look a lot happier. I also calibrated my refrac to make sure.

Everything, including the fish seem a lot happier now. So, yeah, it was definitely the salinity!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back