Scopas Tang with severe Ich

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Im currently treating the tank with “Kordon Ich Attack Herbal” which is 100% natural and wont hurt the inverts… I also raised my tank temp to 86… theres also a rabbitfish in my tank with a few spots…. im also having a tough time getting then to eat…any other recommendations on what to do?? here’s some pictures/videos of my fish (below)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.mov
    4.7 MB
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    3.5 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive also been giving my scopas daily FW dips
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

I wish we could have met under better circumstances, I’m not sure I can help your fish, they have very advanced ich.

Herbal remedies have a very poor track record for treating severe cases of ich.
Raising the temperature is the wrong thing to do. It works for freshwater ich, but not marine ich.
Freshwater dips don’t kill the ich trophonts either.

You’ll need to treat these fish with copper or hyposalinity tonight, and that may be tough to do given it’s late. You could also try the tank transfer method. The trouble is that all three of these treatments take time to work (2 to 3 days) and the fish don’t look like they can last that long.

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, welcome to Reef2Reef!

I wish we could have met under better circumstances, I’m not sure I can help your fish, they have very advanced ich.

Herbal remedies have a very poor track record for treating severe cases of ich.
Raising the temperature is the wrong thing to do. It works for freshwater ich, but not marine ich.
Freshwater dips don’t kill the ich trophonts either.

You’ll need to treat these fish with copper or hyposalinity tonight, and that may be tough to do given it’s late. You could also try the tank transfer method. The trouble is that all three of these treatments take time to work (2 to 3 days) and the fish don’t look like they can last that long.

Jayi
thanks for the response… it happened so fast i did not notice ich till late last night woke up this morning and it was severe… so you think there done for?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the response… it happened so fast i did not notice ich till late last night woke up this morning and it was severe… so you think there done for?
Sorry, I'm on the east coast and was asleep after my last post....

If you can start a hyposalinity or copper treatment, you should do so. These cannot be done with invertebrates present.

Although I prefer copper, hypo can work as well. I recently posted an article on hypo here:

Jay

OP
OP
J

jaredrah777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I'm on the east coast and was asleep after my last post....

If you can start a hyposalinity or copper treatment, you should do so. These cannot be done with invertebrates present.

Although I prefer copper, hypo can work as well. I recently posted an article on hypo here:

Jay
thank you i woke up today both fish were dead … im gonna keep treating the tank and take a 2-3 month break i cant seem to get anything right in this hobby yet

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you i woke up today both fish were dead … im gonna keep treating the tank and take a 2-3 month break i cant seem to get anything right in this hobby yet

As I suspected, they were pretty close to death, sorry. You should leave the tank empty of all fish for 76 days. If your invertebrates can tolerate it, doing this at a temp of 81 F. helps.

You should discontinue the herbal medication at this point.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back