Scratches on glass

Yep! I've turned a blind eye to them and now they are gone! :p


I've got two good scratches in my front glass and nobody has every pointed them out. It reminds me of when I use to paint cars. I knew were the goofs were and use to lose sleep over doing a poor job. The owners never found or saw the spots I goofed up. The rest of the car's beauty hind the minor goofs.
 
Yes.... i replaced the tank. The $2k scratch removal kit. :rolleyes: Hence my "Part Deux" build thread.
 
Glass is very hard to remove scratches from especially anything significant. If you can "feel" the scratch with your finger nail chances are you're not going to get it out. For very fine sxratches I know some who have used jewlers rouge to remove those.
 
The tank will make a good sump. Have you considered rotating the back to the front if it's in better condition?
 
If they are extremely shallow you can use cerium oxide. Amazon has a seller who provides a reasonable inexpensive kit that includes the polishing pad for around 25 if I recall. It will take several hours of work to get out shallow scratches. As other have stated, if they are any deeper, new tank is only fix :(
 
I tried removing scratches in one of my tanks with one of those removal kits and didn't have much luck.
I was able to clear up some very light scratches, but nothing that you could feel with my finger nail.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new