Scribbled angelfish vs goldflake angelfish

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´m trying to decide between these two angelfish as a new addition to my 125 g tank, currently populated by some medium and dwarf angelfishes, mandarins, a Z. xanthurum and a C. striatum. I have only SPS corals (mostly acropora) and some clams. I like both of them and I would like to know about other experiences with regard to acclimation, easiness to get them to feed and general compatibility with SPS corals. Would it be feasible to add a couple of any of them?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goldflakes might remain a bit smaller IIRC. But IMO you’ll change your mind if you see a full sized Scribbled even in a 6ft tank. Goldflake may be doable though IMO in the long term the extra width and volume of a 6 x 2 x 2 (180) would be more well-suited. I’m a bit on the conservative side though, at least to some others.

TBH I’d have a pair of a smaller Genicanthus species, maybe C. Mesoleuceus from Poma Labs, or a pair of C. Caeruleopunctatus + a pair of dwarfs for a 125.

OP
OP
chema

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goldflakes might remain a bit smaller IIRC. But IMO you’ll change your mind if you see a full sized Scribbled even in a 6ft tank. Goldflake may be doable though IMO in the long term the extra width and volume of a 6 x 2 x 2 (180) would be more well-suited. I’m a bit on the conservative side though, at least to some others.

TBH I’d have a pair of a smaller Genicanthus species, maybe C. Mesoleuceus from Poma Labs, or a pair of C. Caeruleopunctatus + a pair of dwarfs for a 125.
Thank you for the advice.

The behaviour of the fish is as important as the size when thinking about the tank size. I have had A. trimaculatus and P. xanthometapon, and I currently have a septentrionalis with no problem, because all of them are "quiet" fishes. I wouldn't have most of the tangs (A. leucosthernon, for example) as they are much more nervous and need long runs in the tank.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree with you. What’s your opinion of the smaller Zebrasomas though? Do they present the same problems? Cthenochaetus remain smaller for the most part but I really want captive bred so the fish in question for me is a Yellow from Biota.

I like the Flagfin and I love C. Septentrionalis. So you think their swimming style and pattern isn’t nervous at all? Not the pacing often seen in Tangs?

OP
OP
chema

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree with you. What’s your opinion of the smaller Zebrasomas though? Do they present the same problems? Cthenochaetus remain smaller for the most part but I really want captive bred so the fish in question for me is a Yellow from Biota.

I like the Flagfin and I love C. Septentrionalis. So you think their swimming style and pattern isn’t nervous at all? Not the pacing often seen in Tangs?
Z. xanthurum and C. strigosus are the two I know well and, although they are relentless swimmers, they do not do the long and nervous runs typical of the leucosternon and other tangs. My xanthurum and strigosus have been in the 125 g for around 9 years now.

C. septentrionalis is no nervous at all and keep along well with all the other fishes (including another angel, G. bellus, and several dwarf angels). I bought it as small juvenile (2 inches), and has developed to the adul stage (now around 5 inches).

I have had a A. trimaculatus for 9 years, but recently died. He has been a model citizen too. Active but not nervous. I miss it and I would like to replace it, either with the xanthopunctatus or the scribbled, although I'm more prone to the xanthopunctatus. DeJongMarinelife here in Europe carries both of them, tank bred, occasionally.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are these two Tangs of yours? And what about your angels? Sorry about the loss of the Trimaculatus did he die from old age and how big was he when he died? :(

It would be awesome to have a captive bred Xanthopunctata. ;) Let me know what you end up with. I want either a pair of tank bred Regals (Yellow Belly), Blue Line (Septentrionalis) or Melanosoma. :) And a trio of Centropyge / Paracentropyge.

OP
OP
chema

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are these two Tangs of yours? And what about your angels? Sorry about the loss of the Trimaculatus did he die from old age and how big was he when he died? :(

It would be awesome to have a captive bred Xanthopunctata. ;) Let me know what you end up with. I want either a pair of tank bred Regals (Yellow Belly), Blue Line (Septentrionalis) or Melanosoma. :) And a trio of Centropyge / Paracentropyge.
The tangs are around 13-14 cm. The trimaculatus was about the same size.

Right now I'm checking prizes and trying to make a decision. I'll let you know.

My tank is not big enough to keep medium-large angels in pairs, but I have managed to keep a pair of C. loriculus and now I have a pair of C. bispinossus. I started with three in the QT tank but one of them didn't make it. The current pair behave pretty well and shows no aggresion towards the other member of the pair or other fishes. Just some ocasional run with the C. loriculus remaining in the tank.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Goldflake about the size of a quarter and raised it to the size of a half dollar before it started nipping at my SPS. It was one of my favorite fish I have ever kept. I definitely wouldn’t hesitate to get another but they can certainly nip. Probably less likely than a scribbled Angel though.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaetodontoplus is probably the most elegant genus of angelfishes, so C.septentrionalis would be more charming in swimming than a PBT, at least in my opinion. I think if I were in your place, I would choose the Goldflake, I love that fish, I also understand that they perform better in reef tanks.

OP
OP
chema

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chaetodontoplus is probably the most elegant genus of angelfishes, so C.septentrionalis would be more charming in swimming than a PBT, at least in my opinion. I think if I were in your place, I would choose the Goldflake, I love that fish, I also understand that they perform better in reef tanks.
Thank you. I agree with you. I have located a goldflake. It is an expensive fish, but TB, which a great plus. Hope there are still some remaining by the time I'm ready to order them

OP
OP
chema

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! Do you think it is better to keep dwarf angels in trios or pairs? I think 3 would be more interesting than two as we can see the male spawn with not one but two females.
I think trios are better than couples regarding the centropyges, but it is not easy to form them. First if they are expensive fishes, multiply by three, second, they must keep along well in the QT or observation tank; third, all of them must be trained to eat.

I have tried it two times, with loriculus and bispinnosa, and both times I ended up with a couple.

LaloJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen a coral beauty angelfish trio, but if I have seen them with flame angelfish, I think that presenting them separately during quarantine can help you understand the individual behaviors of each one, and then try to match them within the same tank, if something comes out badly can split the tank right away.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back