Scribbled Rabbit Fish and Copper

capt.dave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BACKGROUND: I have a Scribbled Rabbit Fish in QT with a pair of SW acclimated black mollies I was using as canaries. Then the mollies gave me 20+ fry, which are also now in their own QT within the QT. The mollies were showing some spots on their bellies, which I think may have been natural markings but not sure so I proceeded with Coppersafe, following @Humblefish QT protocol. Copper hit therapeutic levels on 2/24.

The adult mollies are pooping out 1 inch long strands so I started feeding the API General Cure soaked food recipe as directed in the protocol on 2/28.

They've already been through 2 doses of API GC in the water for flukes. I did that before copper because I also had a leopard wrasse in there and saw flukes from her after freshwater bath. She died.

ISSUE:
About 2 days ago, the rabbit fish, who had been extremely active and a massive eater (I've never seen a fish eat so much) went into hiding and no longer eats. He's turned on his camo (which is an amazing color change) and raised his spines and just sits inside a PVC pipe or behind the sponge filter all day. He's breathing a little heavy, I think, and is obviously stressed.

Ammonia is 0 by Red Sea. Nitrates yesterday were 25 by Salifert so I did a 25% water change, maintaining copper levels at 2.2 but that does not seem to have helped him. The water does seem a little cloudy. I have a powerhead pointed at the surface and I'm running a sponge filter with a good air stone so I think the water has plenty of oxygen and the fish is staying at the bottom rather than the top. The mollies are doing great: no spots, eating and swimming normally, and the fry are thriving and eating well in their screened off box away from the adults. None have died.

Could the rabbit fish have overdosed on GC in the food since he eats so much? He went nuts for it for the first 6 days. Now nothing for the last 2. Maybe flukes, again, despite 2 doses 1 week apart before copper? Any other thoughts?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m in agreement with copper safe. With any copper treatment, ALWAYS have a copper test kit and monitor copper levels closely
If you suspect flukes, you can give the fish a freshwater dip and see if any flukes fall off which will look like sesame seeds or fish scales

OP
OP
capt.dave

capt.dave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in agreement with copper safe. With any copper treatment, ALWAYS have a copper test kit and monitor copper levels closely
If you suspect flukes, you can give the fish a freshwater dip and see if any flukes fall off which will look like sesame seeds or fish scales
Thanks. Using Hanna High Range Copper Checker. Testing every couple days and it's been steady at 2.2 ppm (+/- 0.02, I think depending on how much powder reagent ends up on my desk) since hitting that level on 2/24. I have water level marked so I can watch if i have evaporation but with a glass top that's not really a problem.

The QT sits in front of a window (not worried about algae because it's a QT and won't be up long term) and with the sun just right now I'm seeing some cloudy gunk coming off the sponge filter. I'm going to try another 30% water change and really clean out the sponge in the discarded salt water. I don't think that will do much to the bacterial population but maybe the poor fish doesn't like living in an outhouse. New saltwater's heating. I'll let you know!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks. Using Hanna High Range Copper Checker. Testing every couple days and it's been steady at 2.2 ppm (+/- 0.02, I think depending on how much powder reagent ends up on my desk) since hitting that level on 2/24. I have water level marked so I can watch if i have evaporation but with a glass top that's not really a problem.

The QT sits in front of a window (not worried about algae because it's a QT and won't be up long term) and with the sun just right now I'm seeing some cloudy gunk coming off the sponge filter. I'm going to try another 30% water change and really clean out the sponge in the discarded salt water. I don't think that will do much to the bacterial population but maybe the poor fish doesn't like living in an outhouse. New saltwater's heating. I'll let you know!
Do note that with the sun coming in , it can also raise the tank temperature in a hurry. . . Just a word of caution

OP
OP
capt.dave

capt.dave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do note that with the sun coming in , it can also raise the tank temperature in a hurry. . . Just a word of caution
Good point. It stays 77 - 78. I have two thermometers watching that but no alarms. It's in my home office so I can watch it all day. I'll actually miss it when the fish go to the DT downstairs. Thinking about converting it to a planted tank and keeping the mollies in there. But first I need to get everyone through QT and I don't seem to have a very good track record there. I'm starting to feel like the dentist's niece in "Finding Nemo."

OP
OP
capt.dave

capt.dave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponge filter was really nasty. Wrung it out really well in the discarded tank water and put it back in. Water is clearer and the fish looks better but still not eating. I'll post again at the end of the day.

OP
OP
capt.dave

capt.dave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not eating. Swimming a little but mostly very still in camo mode with fins fluttering but not moving.
2FCE06F2-E100-426A-8D46-5076E285F5CC.jpeg
I really don’t know what to do next.

OP
OP
capt.dave

capt.dave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One would think if there were something bad in the water the molly babies would be wiped out. Haven’t lost one.
50644070-F3F4-4ECB-8A0B-58DA7191769D.jpeg

Back