Sea Goblin, Mr. Freaks

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really is one freaky sob, Inimicus didactylus, the sea goblin. I thought I would share this here, so you "normies" can see what some of us "weirdos" keep; this is a rarely seen fish and are very misunderstood. They always gave me the creeps, because they have these spider legs and crawl around like a freaking alien. They bury themselves in the sand with their eyes popped up looking around for a meal. I've only had him a couple of weeks, but I have to say, he is quickly becoming one of my favorites; and I have 13 venomous predators.

This is the type of fish for someone that wants a species, unique themed tank. I do have a normal tank and also keep 3 species tanks with fish from the Scorpaenidae family. A species tank doesn't have to just have one fish, just fish with same care and behavior, and most importantly, feeding requirements. Mr Freaks shares a 40B with a cockatoo waspfish(Ablabys taenianotus) and a barbfish(scorpaena brasiliensis). They do eat live food; guppies, mollies, and ghosties. While he will eat dead food, a dead food only diet usually ends his life prematurely. They just don't get the proper nutrition to last more than 1-1.5 years on a dead food only diet.

If you interested in a species tank; which could range from keeping an angler to scorpionfish, to even lions. Visit the Predator Forum and check out some of my other threads. Here are pics of the freak.

20211009_174839.jpg
20211006_173721.jpg
20211009_174851.jpg
20211009_181818.jpg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The folks that make SciFi/alien movies don't have to look much beyond their front doors for inspiration. There is quite the choice of aliens on our own planet to get movie ideas from! :) I saw the pics of your tanks with these crazy guys in them. Amazing!!

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart and personable, within 2 weeks he will pop up from the sand, follow me around, and dance for his food.

20211006_193139.jpg
20211016_183649.jpg
20211016_183554.jpg

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a video of this guy moving around?

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure I saw that guy a while back. Woke up in a cold sweat, and couldn't get back to sleep.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the craziest thing I have ever seen!!! Honestly that guy was dropped from some asteroid that happened to pass by our planet! There is noooo way that was created on this world!! Haha. I want a tank like yours! I wouldn't be able to stop watching these guys. I would just pull up a chair for my evening entertainment! :)

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the venom tank, they ate earlier so everyone is chillin'.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the venom tank, they ate earlier so everyone is chillin'.

Those guys are chilling, (not chillin'... haha) when you see them all together. Death lurks in every corner, in every crevice and on every rock! :)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read a National Geographic article talking about some new reef fish that have been discovered in Indonesia. The Ambon Scorpionfish (Pteroidichthys amboinensis). I think the article is from 2012 so they're no longer that new but still pretty cool. They look so delicate for such a fierce predator! I found a wiki page on them. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pteroidichthys_amboinensis. Maybe this one will be in your tank one day although Mr. Freaks might not like the spotlight taken off him. LOL.

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read a National Geographic article talking about some new reef fish that have been discovered in Indonesia. The Ambon Scorpionfish (Pteroidichthys amboinensis). I think the article is from 2012 so they're no longer that new but still pretty cool. They look so delicate for such a fierce predator! I found a wiki page on them. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pteroidichthys_amboinensis. Maybe this one will be in your tank one day although Mr. Freaks might not like the spotlight taken off him. LOL.

The ambon scorp is pretty small, wouldn't make it in my venom tank or mr freaks tank, would would be fine in my small pred tank. They don't come around very often and tend be very brown, not the vibrant pics you've seen. Many scorp family fish will appear more brown when you first get them, likely due to stress and a poor diet. Sometimes they will brighten up over time. I thought about the ambon before, just never had a spot for one when I saw one available. A good starter scorp for a small tank, 20g, even a 16g biocube would be fine.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ambon scorp is pretty small, wouldn't make it in my venom tank or mr freaks tank, would would be fine in my small pred tank. They don't come around very often and tend be very brown, not the vibrant pics you've seen. Many scorp family fish will appear more brown when you first get them, likely due to stress and a poor diet. Sometimes they will brighten up over time. I thought about the ambon before, just never had a spot for one when I saw one available. A good starter scorp for a small tank, 20g, even a 16g biocube would be fine.
Thank you for this info and your knowledge on scorps, etc.! I would love to have one of these guys but would need one for a small tank which has me excited to know this type stays small. All of the pics make every creature look huge when there isn't something next to it for scale. Haha. I'm also glad to know they can be found in the hobby from time to time. :)

OP
OP
lion king

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it reef safe

All of these fish are reef safe in the sense that they won't mess with corals. They will eat shrimp and fish that are small enough. They leave hard bodied inverts alone, urchins and starfish and such are safe.

binaryfuneral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely ADORE sea goblins. Had one not long ago who got “scalped” by my wave maker and didn’t make it. Replaced my wave maker and am waiting patiently for a new one. Something about fish in the scorpionfish family interests me so much

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I absolutely ADORE sea goblins. Had one not long ago who got “scalped” by my wave maker and didn’t make it. Replaced my wave maker and am waiting patiently for a new one. Something about fish in the scorpionfish family interests me so much
Oh, that's so sad. I wonder how many fatalities have happened because of the equipment we use. Those are always so sad to read about (like yours). Hopefully the new wave maker works out better!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back