Sea lettuce tips?

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just ordered some lettuce with the plan of placing it in my refugium to export nutrients and feed my fish. It looks like the sea lettuce enjoys high light and flow. Anyone currently growing sea lettuce that can offer some advice?

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ime mine doesnt it just floats. I dose iron sometimes and use red/blue led for it. Grows amazing.

IzzysPop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problem I have is that it floats right to the top and clogs the refugium overflow into the skimmer section (running triton). So I had to put a piece of acrylic across the top to stop it from clogging everything up

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

If you are worried about it becoming invasive I don’t think It will be an issue if you have a tang in there. I had a tang that loved cheato. I would put my excess in my tank from my sump and it would disappear same day. Be interesting to see how it grows

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It grows all over my 32 gallon DT. i am having a hard time getting rid of it. I wish I could have a Tang. Maybe it will still be growing when I upgrade.

Bgmrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it and its driving me nuts. Got it like last week and i just keep clogging my fuge filter area to my return pump as izzyspop said. I have it wedged in between my marine pro blocks to try to keep it in the fuge...but it keep moving.

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it and its driving me nuts. Got it like last week and i just keep clogging my fuge filter area to my return pump as izzyspop said. I have it wedged in between my marine pro blocks to try to keep it in the fuge...but it keep moving.
This is my fear in the sump...hmmm

Bgmrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ from what i have been looking at almost everything in the fuge does this in the beginning. I guess till its a big mass...it kinda jus goes everywhere....but im new to the fuge game...

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be very careful with sea lettuce (Ulva) I somehow got it in my display and it started growing on EVERYTHING. Any coral that didn't have tissue on it was growing Ulva. I had to heavily dose vibrant for weeks to get rid of it. I finally was able to beat it and now it just comes off easily. I'm still doing 3ML of vibrant twice a week to get rid of any left.

Its a pain in the butt to get rid of....

IzzysPop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have any seaweed eaters, like Tangs, rabbitfish, etc... they'll decimate anything that gets into the display. They go nuts when I take a piece of it out of the fuge to feed them.
as for clogging, Get some cheap egg crate with suction cups on Amazon and build a barrier before any sump walls. I took an old piece of acrylic from a previous sump and suction-cupped it about 3 inches before the overflow from fuge to skimmer section. Lettuce all hangs up on that barrier and the flow continues to work just fine with none of it escaping to clog pumps or anything

jebernier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I just ordered some lettuce with the plan of placing it in my refugium to export nutrients and feed my fish. It looks like the sea lettuce enjoys high light and flow. Anyone currently growing sea lettuce that can offer some advice?
Mine died, not enough nutrients in my new tank to keep alive.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imma be real. Just use Vibrant. I dosed 3 ML twice a week for about 2 months and eventually they all turned white and died. It got to the point I could easily blow them off with a turkeybaster.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a piece make it to my display and my tuxedo urchin wore it for about a month, guess he thought it was his tux. I have a tomini tang and haven't had any take root in display yet.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back