Seafood?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about making some of my own fish food. I really don't like the freeze dried stuff as It just floats into the overflow so I want to avoid that. I also don't want to just buy brine shrimp at the LFS since I am wanting to make something different. Does anyone know if it is safe to get something like a seafood blend (no preservatives) of shrimp, scallop, squid, and what not and mixing them in a blender? My main concern is I do not want to introduce some sort of nasty parasite from the raw food at the store. I know some companies such as hikari sterilize their frozen food and that is why I am wondering if this is safe. Yes I know that I can buy something like LRS or Rods but I am bored and want to try something fun XD

Last edited:

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I do. Bag of seafood medley mix from the Asian supermarket, a bit of seaweed, maybe a small amount of flakes/pellets, and whatever other seafood I have laying around blended up with a bit of rodi. Then I put it in ziplocks and flatten it in the freezer!

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I do. Bag of seafood medley mix from the Asian supermarket, a bit of seaweed, maybe a small amount of flakes/pellets, and whatever other seafood I have laying around blended up with a bit of rodi. Then I put it in ziplocks and flatten it in the freezer!

Are you able to make small enough pieces that something like a clownfish could eat?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also used to add additives like garlic, Zoe, and selcon but paulB talked me out of that

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed these to both fish, nems and corals. They are all thriving.

IMG_20200403_084932365.jpg
IMG_20200403_085146038.jpg
IMG_20200403_085157267.jpg

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, why did he convince you otherwise? I was gonna added garlic and vitachem.

If I remember right he claims that it those additives don't really help or hurt anything so I stopped spending $ on them. Maybe he can chime in @PaulB

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember right he claims that it those additives don't really help or hurt anything so I stopped spending $ on them. Maybe he can chime in @PaulB

Ah I like vita chem because of the amino acids and what not that the corals can also get and then garlic to make it supposedly more appetizing

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those clams you are feeding is all the additives they need. I have never used additives and all my paired fish are spawning including my 29 year olds and almost all of my fish only die of old age.

OP
OP
Spare time

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those clams you are feeding is all the additives they need. I have never used additives and all my paired fish are spawning including my 29 year olds and almost all of my fish only die of old age.

Hey Paul! I have a quick question for you. I know that companies like hikari sterilize their food before they sell them. Is there any risk of getting my fish sick from making my own frozen? I was gonna go to kroger or trader joes and get some frozen shrimp, clam, etc. and make a blend but I am worried about introducing some sort of disease to me or the fish. Is this a reasonable thought or is this just my anxiety getting to me?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you able to make small enough pieces that something like a clownfish could eat?

Maybe add some small frozen fish food too, I know my clowns prefer the really small size fish foods such as cyclops and lobster eggs, they are not fully grown yet so that might change.

The garlic I can not understand, just seems so weird to me that garlic would even be considered a fish food.

Anthony Kochevar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my recipe. I have a small tank so I don't make a lot at a time.

1 Raw Shrimp, peeled and chopped.
2 square inches Nori, no additives or seasonings.
3 to 5 Tbls fresh seawater. Not water from the tank.
1 Tsp Kent Microvert
1 Tsp Kent Zooplex
1 Tsp Seachem Phytoplankton
1/2 Tsp Marine Fish Food Flakes with Garlic
1/2 Tsp Reedroids

Tear up Nori and soak in 3 Tbls of seawater for an hour.
Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor and blend until shrimp chunks are 1 to 2mm in size. Add more seawater until you get the consistency you want. Makes approximately 50 ml.

I store in the fridge and put two to to three drops in my tank twice a day. Keep in mind I have a 3 gallon so this lasts me a couple of months.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 Tsp Kent Microvert
1 Tsp Kent Zooplex
1/2 Tsp Reedroids

Combine all ingredients in blender or food processor and blend until shrimp chunks are 1 to 2mm in size. Add more seawater until you get the consistency you want. Makes approximately 50 ml.

I store in the fridge and put two to to three drops in my tank twice a day. Keep in mind I have a 3 gallon so this lasts me a couple of months.
What's your reasoning for using seawater instead of rodi?

Anthony Kochevar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your reasoning for using seawater instead of rodi?

I figure it makes it more palatable for the inhabitants. Having it soaked in a medium that is more natural to them vs freshwater. Especially when a batch lasts a couple of months in the fridge. Like us drinking soup made with salt water instead of fresh. You could do it but likely won't like it as much. Anyway this recipe is working for me. I got good coral growth this past year.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 Tsp Kent Microvert
1 Tsp Kent Zooplex
1/2 Tsp Reedroids

That looks great, here is my recipe:
Clams. :cool:

OK,I have to add mysis for the stupid pipefish.

Sethrojello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would advise against using garlic there is a lot of hobbyists that claim it is a miracle additive. Albeit, there is some loose evidence that it can be used to entice picky eaters to feed. I'd recommend when making DIY frozen foods, make different variations i.e. a meatier option, a more veggie-based option, your standard option, etc., Once in awhile mixing up a meal can make a big difference and keep your fish active.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back