Seahorse corals

Ana Zaragoza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m starting a seahorse reef tank, my 30 gallon has fully cycled and I just wanted to ask you guys what the best seahorse safe corals are. I’m having some difficulty deciding. Can you guys help me??

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your lights? The most tried and true are sea horse corals are gorgorians there are quite a few that are photosynthetic too. But most do need at least moderately intense lighting and strong flow.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonians do fit nicely as the seahorses like to anchor to them, which is cool in itself. I don't know much about seahorses but I keep photosynthetic and nps gorgs. The photosynthetic one are very easy to care for, they don't need super intense lights but do require good flow. The nps gorgs need pretty frequent feeding as I believe the seahorses do also. I think the gorgs may eat some of the same food so that may be a good fit. The nps gorgs are the ones I see with the seahorses in the wild mostly.

OP
OP
Ana Zaragoza

Ana Zaragoza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your lights? The most tried and true are sea horse corals are gorgorians there are quite a few that are photosynthetic too. But most do need at least moderately intense lighting and strong

Viparspectra timer control LED Aquarium light, 300 watts.

OP
OP
Ana Zaragoza

Ana Zaragoza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonians do fit nicely as the seahorses like to anchor to them, which is cool in itself. I don't know much about seahorses but I keep photosynthetic and nps gorgs. The photosynthetic one are very easy to care for, they don't need super intense lights but do require good flow. The nps gorgs need pretty frequent feeding as I believe the seahorses do also. I think the gorgs may eat some of the same food so that may be a good fit. The nps gorgs are the ones I see with the seahorses in the wild mostly.

Thanks so much!

Lucie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put a lot of soft corals... GSP, xenia, leathers, mushrooms (but elephant ear to be avoided), ricordeas, zoanthids (avoid protopalythoas and some palythoas), sun coral...
Some hard corals can also be put but you will have some trouble with them, as temperature, flow, lightning or water quality won t fit them very well.
You can add macro algae, it will greatly help to control the nutrient export and you have a huge choice of shapes and colors to choose from, depending on your lightning.

Lumpystarpolyp

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ours seem to particularly enjoy hanging on ribbon gorgonian. Luckily it also seems to be easy to care for.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back