OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only coral in the tank is a nephthea finger leather soft coral and some xenia, there cpuld be aiptasia but im fairly certain its under control

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have the unpopular opinion here but it looks like a sting/abrasion to me. Tail rot moves very very fast and IMO if that's what your female has it would be quickly moving up her tail by now.

What else do you have in the tank? Corals, fish, crabs, heater, etc - anything that could of hurt her tail? Sorry if you've already answered those questions already, just trying to get the full picture.

Since tail rot can be brought on by small injuries I would treat her with betadine dabbed on her tail a couple times a day. Just hold her out of water and softly dab the area with a dry q-tip then apply the betadine, wait 20 seconds or so then blot dry and release her. Even better if you can find Allicin in the first aid section and do the same as the betadine 3-4x a day.

Hopefully she wont get full on tail rot. Keep us updated!
I have noticed on occasion where she could have scraped her tail onthe rocks, as she would have chased after food but seemed to forget to detach herself from the rock, and then ended up pulling on her tail against the rock, if that makes sense.

There are hermit crabs in the tank, asternia stars, and theres a few other fish but none of them even notice shes there or interact with her and she never cares about them.

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed on occasion where she could have scraped her tail onthe rocks, as she would have chased after food but seemed to forget to detach herself from the rock, and then ended up pulling on her tail against the rock, if that makes sense.

There are hermit crabs in the tank, asternia stars, and theres a few other fish but none of them even notice shes there or interact with her and she never cares about them.
Thats why i initially thought it was dislodged scales but i forgot they didnt have any .

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to convince my mum to let me set up a QT for the seahorse, and i have furan 2. However she stopped eating today before i put her into QT, its a very simple quaratine, a 10 litre tub with an air suplly i know its not much but its the best i can do with what im allowed. She was being treated with doxycyclene in the DT, should i continue dosing that in the DT. I plan on doing daily water changes in the QT too and getting some bacteria in a bottle stuff to help

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything else i should need for the QT, i dont think a heater will be needed as room temp here seems to keep tanks at around 20-21C so that should help minimise spread of bacteria

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200211_210735.jpg

I put some plastic tubes in and a piece of red algae she can cling too

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I'd never recommend treating in the main tank, always in a hospital tank.
Treat with Furan II according to the instructions but take into account the volume you are dealing with as the treatment I believe gives dosing for 10g and you have only 10 litres which is about 1/4 of that 10g. Keeping the temperature at 20°C WILL aid in slowing the nasty bacterial growth. Open ended airlines are best to use for aeration and water movement.
I can't comment on using doxycycline as I've never used it but using it in the main tank will most likely destroy your good bacteria and you will end up with ammonia.
As it has stopped eating you will have to find some way to entice it to eat again. Can you source live ADULT brine shrimp, or, small ghost shrimp around the size of frozen mysis shrimp? Some use Allimax to try to stimulate appetites but it's expensive so just crush fresh peeled garlic clove to get the juice to add each day to the hospital tank.

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doxycyclene is safe for use in DT otherwise i wouldnt of used it, checked it on the forums here and the internet . Ill try and find bbs. Thanks for your help, i appreciate it

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
possible burn from corals clinging on ,i've seen it with certain gorgos

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
do you have other horses in that cling on finger

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only had the one horse in that tank, however i did have a pair of tigertails several years ago for about 8 months, and they lived on the same coral

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back