Seahorse Sanctuary

Henn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I once came here with an alternative to conventional methods for raising Dwarf Seahorses. The Seahorse Sanctuary Photos will outline what was offered. The 270 gallon Marine Ponds were a bit large for most. The next offer was a 35 gallon Habitat that already works here. It also lacked interest. The latest is a completely self contained Dwarf Seahorse Habitat, wild forage foods, and total water treatment. All in a 10 gallon aquarium that was dry 24 hours before the pictures. My seahorses will never leave the sanctuary for a zoo. Does anyone want to try something different?
PS: The seahorse in the picture has already Hooked Up.

Whats on the pony channel tonight.jpg New Haven Pony Sanctuary EST. 071320 Dumont 1950 Retro TV Style.jpg New Haven System.jpg ANNEX Reactor Assembly next to Marine Pond Protein Cannon.jpg

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is how are you supposed to enjoy seeing them in all that sea lettuce?
I personally don't like the look of it. But, to each their own .

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you are even asking about???

wait what.jpg
There’s no question, Henn is just sharing his self-sustainable dwarf seahorse tank.

@Henn, does all of the food come from the 10 gallon tank? How is there enough food in a tank that was just filled 24 hours ago? Do you think since it’s so small that the live food will eventually run out?

Either way, it’s really cool. Definitely something I’d like to try someday.

OP
OP
H

Henn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for not ripping me up. Every time I share and expect some Content, it seems like some form of ( no word comes forward ) instead. Some Threads have been very great and nice. Others are like people waiting behind a Forum door. My wish is to always move upward and expand. Some of these people make me feel strained by even responding ( GRRRRR... MEOW ). Often they imagine a question, just to give an insulting answer ( Really ). One person felt that Jackie Chan had a question, oh my aching bandwidth.

Lets move forward>>> The welfare of seahorses must come before my petty feelings

All the food comes from a combination of features. The left side has the Tulle Fabric Corral. It is about 6 gallons. The only Macro Algae in the Corral is Ulva and Calerpa. The Ponys like to hunt the spaces. There is no Spaghetti Algae in the Corral. It is too confining. All of the Habitats here are infested with Rotifers, tisby Pods, tiger pods ( my arctic pods were a big disappointment and the Ponys would not eat them ), and lots of other stuff. Friends have brought samples from many different marine environments.

The Right side is where the main food production is. It is a dense Refugium of Spaghetti Algae only. It protects the Pods from over over grazing. Every morning the Refugium is fed Coral Milk in a haze. The Pods feed and multiply. The Pods are also the Shrimp half of the Clean Up Crew. Several Molly Fish are the other half. Normally the Shrimp Half are Peppermint. There is always a flow of Pods into the Pony Corral. The Lettuce Nudibranch are to control Hair Algae and clean the Mesh. Very rarely they manage to produce an adult form ( they just show up as tiny adult shapes). Mostly the Larva are Pony food.

The Tank and Filter System are the exact System described in my Different Tank. The Different Tank went Hard Coral and this had the View Window Inset and no crushed coral. The Bio Cores were seasoned in the Main Pond in advance ( Parent and Child ,, Picture ). There had been two large Raccoon Family attacks in two weeks ( they busted the chiller ) and day time temperatures were over 110 f. The Ponys are all in here now until next Spring. It took two days to catch them all.

I am trying to be patient with what seems an undue lack of cordiality. It keeps me unsure as too my ability to contribute.

Stable Mates.jpg Arborial Forest of Flying Horses.jpg Parent and Child Reunion.jpg New Haven System.jpg

ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job, that is amazing. I’m surprised it’s never really been done before. Definitely beats having to hatch Artemia daily. I hope the tank continues to thrive.

I find the lack of cordiality pretty unusual, especially since R2R is an exceptionally friendly forum. Part of it may be due to the fact that the seahorse forum doesn’t get too much activity, but still...

As for @Ron Reefman and Jackie Chan, I guess he didn’t fully understand your post and was making a joke.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read a lot of the posts you do on the seahorses, it's amazing. I am looking to get a seahorse aquarium set up in the future, but I don't want to not be able to see my horses.

If it works for you, enjoy it. Not trying to be snarky or mean.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's great, I am thinking of doing a macro tank and I'm seriously considering a pair of horses, nicely done. :)

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've collected and kept dwarf seahorses (for a while). They require very special care for long term survival. I'm impressed with your success.

My post was trying to tell you that as somebody who has never read one of your posts and obviously have not followed your seahorse threads, I found this post a bit confusing. I wasn't sure what your point was. But no insult intended. Just that I didn't understand.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back