Seashells

  • Thread starter Thread starter onevarez
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

onevarez

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 18, 2018
Messages
112
Reaction score
45
Location
Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. I recently went to the beach and collected some real seashell. I would like to incorporate them to my tank. Is it ok to that? If yes, what should I do before introducing it to the thank?
 
I would say that it isn’t necessarily bad, but it could have some hitchhikers on it, so anytime I want to add something from the beach to my tank is to boil them for about 15-30 minutes to kill anything off of them. However, some shells contain silicates, which could cause a Dino/diatom outbreak.
 
It’s fine, as long as they are clean and free of residual organic matter (e.g, dead snail body, etc).
 
Just throw them, in your tank, it will be fine. If they stink, don't do that. 😎
 
I've collected shells from Sanibel Island, FL and on vacation in the Caribbean. Just threw them in my tank
 
Hi everyone. I recently went to the beach and collected some real seashell. I would like to incorporate them to my tank. Is it ok to that? If yes, what should I do before introducing it to the thank?
Spray them off and boil them for 10 minutes
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new