Second hand Reefer 350, reinforce seams?

Dextar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I’m planning on buying a second hand (v1) reefer 350. Overall the tank looks good, I don’t see any issues with the seams, but I was wondering if it might be worth it to ‘reinforce’ the existing seams with an additional silicone seam?

Mainly because the tank will be empty anyway, so I thought it might be worth it as a sort of precaution while it’s still dry, but I’m not sure if it would be worth it.

Any thoughts?

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicon dont stick to silicon, siliconing over existing seams is uselles, throwing money for silicone, literally....

If you want to do it right, then, procedure is well known.....

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s partly where I got the idea from. Unfortunately, a brand new tank isn’t in the budgetary stars for me.
New tanks are supposedly 10% off right now. Depending on how old it is, you might be worth spending the money on a new setup just for peace of mind.

The difference between the coat of a used and new tank isn't any more than you're typical homeowner's deductible...

OP
OP
Dextar

Dextar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicon dont stick to silicon, siliconing over existing seams is uselles, throwing money for silicone, literally....

If you want to do it right, then, procedure is well known.....

I actually didn’t know that..answers the question then I guess

OP
OP
Dextar

Dextar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tanks are supposedly 10% off right now. Depending on how old it is, you might be worth spending the money on a new setup just for peace of mind.

The difference between the coat of a used and new tank isn't any more than you're typical homeowner's deductible...
I read that on here today, bur can’t find anything on the red sea website about that. Side note: I’m in the Netherlands, so no idea if that sale is even available here.

Even with 10% off the difference would be quite big compared to the used option I have.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t buy a brand new Red Sea tank let alone a used one.

Silicone does not attach to silicone so you would have to take the tank apart and redo

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, complete dissasembly or removing seams is only options, silicone over silicone is uselles....

Personaly if tank wasnt dry for too long, just fill it, test for leaks and u are good to go.....

This or that manufacturer, its all glass panels and cheap silicone in all of them ;)

OP
OP
Dextar

Dextar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, complete dissasembly or removing seams is only options, silicone over silicone is uselles....

Personaly if tank wasnt dry for too long, just fill it, test for leaks and u are good to go.....

This or that manufacturer, its all glass panels and cheap silicone in all of them ;)
Well, that saves me a unnecessary chore then

It’s actually still running atm, so it shouldn’t dry for too long (just the time to break down, move, clean and fill) so I guess I’ll go with that.

And yes, agreed. If I’d be buying new then maybe I’d look at manufacturer a bit more but for now, nah. Also I have a thing for the r350 for whatever reason, so there’s that.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I newer bought any "manufactured" tank....

I got, as gift, one atman with rounded front glass, still have it, but out of use....

All others was home built,like i said, its only glass and silicones..... Many of them was made from scrap glass, broken windows, etc.... ;)

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re a braver man than I

I don’t mind a little diy, but won’t be building a tank anytime soon
Well, it's not that hard as it may appear....

Of course, there is a learning curve, getting right tools for job, but, noting to difficult....

Most of my tanks were made from scrap glass, whenever i see some glass, i take it, never know when it may come in handy.... Up to 10mm glass, it's really not hard to cut, even with 1$ glass cutter from hardware store...

Here tanks are crazy expensive , 500$ for no name 130g tank, that someone build in garage (just like i do mine)..... no way... glass and silicone cost maybe 300$....

And any "branded" tank, glass only, is from 1500$ and above....

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • None.

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%

Back