Second New DIY Two Part Recipe with Higher pH Boost

Discussion in 'Reef Chemistry by Randy Holmes-Farley' started by Randy Holmes-Farley, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

Sounds like a perfect way to use this method. :)

DaveRaz likes this.

2. Myka

Myka Well-Known Member

Even though it is greater than 99% purity it doesn't say "food grade". Randy mentioned looking for food grade, so that's what I did. I just ordered 1 lb to give it a go. If I like it, I will look into a cheaper long-term option. That said, at $29/lb, it's still one of the cheapest things going in my tank!

3. Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley Reef Chemist Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Expert Contributor

That material might be (probably is) perfectly fine, I just like the impurities limitations that come with food grading (limits on lead, mercury, etc.).

Myka likes this.
  4. Finhead

Finhead Active Member

Yeah I planed to call and see if they had any other info before ordering. Not in a huge hurry as I just made a batch of 2 part that will last another 3 months or so.

5. Myka

Myka Well-Known Member

I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

6. jnvd3b

jnvd3b Member

So what is the best way to test the mixed solution with a Hanna or RedSea kit? Or is it not necessary?

7. Randy Holmes-Farley

Why do you want to test it?

8. jnvd3b

jnvd3b Member

Paranoia that I mixed it correctly. But I did 283 grams weighed with an oxo scale so I am probably OK. I saw the ‘use 20% less comment’ but I guess that doesnt pertain to food grade?

9. Randy Holmes-Farley

The 20% less comment relates to the measurement of the calcium. Regardless of the grade, calcium chloride dihydrate is about 20% less potent than anhydrous calcium chloride.

I wouldn't bother to try to measure alk or calcium from the DIY (you can, but it too is going have the potential for errors), but if you are worried, dose substantially less to the tank than "needed" to reach your goal, and then make sure it seems a reasonable boost once in the tank.

jnvd3b likes this.
  10. jnvd3b

jnvd3b Member

Thanks! Looking forward to trying this out.

DaveRaz likes this.
  11. Randy Holmes-Farley

You're welcome.

Happy Reefing. :)

12. Mindi

Mindi Active Member

No...I didnt do that. I am dumping my Mg test and getting a new one. Of course recognise I can have made a recipe error even with good scales and considerable care. Will dump my current mixes and start afresh. First step would be a new test kit. Thanks.

13. WWIII

WWIII Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor LMAS Member

Here's the source of Sodium Hydroxide I purchased from for anyone looking. $4 per pound...

20180214_223921.png

14. Mindi

Mindi Active Member

Might be worth another reminder ( because I know I forget) that if using anhydrous CaCl2 then reduce volume by 20%

15. Randy Holmes-Farley

Since it came up in another thread today...

If you want to add strontium to a DIY two part, here's a rough recipe.
    Corals have about 1000 calcium ions for each 9 strontium ions when grown in NSW. Too add about that much to a two part, put in about 1.3 % as much strontium chloride as calcium chloride.

No method can perfectly balance Sr since the demand is about linear with concentration. So your tank will use twice as much Sr (per unit of alk or calcium consumed) at 10 ppm Sr++ as at 5 ppm Sr++.

Myka likes this.
  16. gobble

gobble Member

If I swapped out my current BRS Alk solution for this mixture, would I still shoot for the same 1:1 calcium to Alk dose by volume?

And does this recipe not require the sodium sulfate in the Alk solution like the first version of the high-PH recipe. I see that the Alk mixture in this thread is a little different than in the first PH increasing thread (I think that's the case because the BRS recipe has the sulfate in the magnesium solution).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018 at 10:27 PM
  17. nanomania

nanomania Valuable Member

This is a 3part method again. Sobthe 2 part doesnt work?

18. Randy Holmes-Farley

Both work. Take your pick. Some people may want to make a bigger change to a true two part, and some may be comfortable with the current 2/3 part and just want a higher pH. The two part version also requires additional chemicals (sodium sulfate) which you need to buy.

nanomania likes this.
  19. Randy Holmes-Farley

That is correct. Same potency and no sodium sulfate, but also still needing a separate magnesium mix (which is where the sulfate resides).

20. miyags

miyags Valuable Member

WWIII likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted