Second New DIY Two Part Recipe with Higher pH Boost

Juano908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a previous thread, I posted a true two part DIY recipe:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-diy-two-part-recipes-with-higher-ph-boost.344500/

But some folks may want to just swap the new ingredient into my 2/3 part recipe (as used by BRS, for example).

Here's the original recipe link (which has a lot more discussion on the details and rationale):

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

The new recipe is shown below. It has about twice the pH boost of the original recipe (#1) and should be added to a very high flow area. Initial cloudiness (magnesium hydroxide) is expected, but it should disperse and dissolve. If not, stop using it and figure out why.

Alk part

Add 283 grams of sodium hydroxide to 1 gallon of fresh water. It will get quite warm. Make sure it doesn't soften your container. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). BE CAREFUL WITH THIS SOLUTION: IT HAS A pH ABOVE 14. Do not get it in your eyes or on your skin.

Calcium part

Dissolve 500 grams (about 2 ½ cups) of calcium chloride dihydrate (such as Dowflake 77-80% calcium chloride or ESV calcium chloride; see below for substitutes and sources) in enough water to make 1 gallon of total volume. You can dissolve it in about ½ gallon of water, and then pour that into the 1 gallon container and fill it to the top with more freshwater. This solution has about 37,000 ppm calcium.

Magnesium part

Dissolve Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate heptahydrate (3 cups) and magnesium chloride hexahydrate (5 cups) in enough purified freshwater to make 1 gallon total volume. There will likely be a precipitate that forms even if you fully dissolve both ingredients separately. That precipitate is calcium sulfate (calcium as an impurity in the magnesium chloride and sulfate from the Epsom salts). It is fine and appropriate to dose the precipitate along with the remainder of the fluid by shaking it up before dosing.

This solution is added much less frequently or in lower volume than the other two parts. Add 16% as much as the other two parts. Over the time you add 1 gallon of the others, 1 add 610 mL (2 ½ cups) of this solution. You can add it all at once or, preferably, over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium's size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably a sump. In a very small aquarium, or one without a sump, I suggest adding it slowly.

Randy,
On this Recipe the Alk part is made with Sodium Hydroxide ONLY and the water amount is to make up one gallon or in one gallon of water?
Thanks

jeffp1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone else having trouble with the Alkalinity leaking with the dosing tubing? Mine started leaking and the hose will not stay on the fitting. I changed out the dosing head, and new head is starting to leak. I really like the ph change, so would like to continue using this. Jebao p4 doser.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy,
On this Recipe the Alk part is made with Sodium Hydroxide ONLY and the water amount is to make up one gallon or in one gallon of water?
Thanks

One gallon final volume. [emoji3]

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone else having trouble with the Alkalinity leaking with the dosing tubing? Mine started leaking and the hose will not stay on the fitting. I changed out the dosing head, and new head is starting to leak. I really like the ph change, so would like to continue using this. Jebao p4 doser.

What kind of tubing? Some types may not be suitable at this high pH (about 14.28 as formulated), but many will.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what happens to the NaCl that is left over after the corals/algae/snails use CaCO3? How is this any different than the old system?

This specific recipe is no different than the original it is based on except for the pH.

When properly dosed as a 3 part, it adds sufficient sulfate and magnesium to keep those from being depleted. Depending on the nature of the calcium chloride, it may also have enough potassium in it to keep the method from depleting it (Dowflake did in the original).

After CaCO3 is consumed, the residual sodium, chloride, sulfate and magnesium (and maybe potassium) are left at natural seawater ratios, so maintaining salinity keeps them from getting skewed.

Juano908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One gallon final volume. [emoji3]

Thanks a lot Randy, it won’t make a big difference any way other thank not being able to fit it in a one gallon container.
So to be clear we are substituting the Soda Ash by the Sodium Hydroxide correct?

Frogger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. Just trying to get my head around this new method. I guess regular water changes will help get all the minor ions back in check.

You suggest adding the magnesium supplement at 16% of the other two supplements. Shouldn't magnesium be added to keep your magnesium at your desired level or is magnesium chloride/sulphate (Canadian) be used during calcification at exactly 16% of the cacl and the alkalinity supplement.

jeffp1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of tubing? Some types may not be suitable at this high pH (about 14.28 as formulated), but many will.
Randy, I am using regular airline tubing. This is what I have always used. Only leaks where supply connects to pump head tubing. If you have any suggestions on different tubing, it would be appreciated. Thanks for your reply!

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot Randy, it won’t make a big difference any way other thank not being able to fit it in a one gallon container.
So to be clear we are substituting the Soda Ash by the Sodium Hydroxide correct?

Yes, that is the substitution. You can make it to most any potency you want (within certain limits), but as the alk part gets more and more potent, it gets more and more important to disperse it rapidly in the tank water since the locally high pH can begin to cause precipitation of calcium carboante (which wastes the additive).

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, I am using regular airline tubing. This is what I have always used. Only leaks where supply connects to pump head tubing. If you have any suggestions on different tubing, it would be appreciated. Thanks for your reply!

There are many kinds that should be unaffected by pH, especially polyethylene tubing, but i would have though even normal airline tubing was pretty resistant.

This sort of table can help pick tubing:

Tubing Chemical Compatibility Tables
http://www.hollandapt.com/Documents...ng_Chemcial_Compatability_uid172010827381.pdf

Drop down to the listing for

Sodium hydroxide, 25%

On page 2. Many types show as OK, but some are not.

Juano908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is the substitution. You can make it to most any potency you want (within certain limits), but as the alk part gets more and more potent, it gets more and more important to disperse it rapidly in the tank water since the locally high pH can begin to cause precipitation of calcium carboante (which wastes the additive).

Much appreciated Randy,
One last question, in relation of dosing amount compare to the original 2 Part recipe would it be a different or it’s relatively close to the amount I’m currently dosing?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. Just trying to get my head around this new method. I guess regular water changes will help get all the minor ions back in check.

You suggest adding the magnesium supplement at 16% of the other two supplements. Shouldn't magnesium be added to keep your magnesium at your desired level or is magnesium chloride/sulphate (Canadian) be used during calcification at exactly 16% of the cacl and the alkalinity supplement.

Yes, water changes are desirable with DIY two part methods due to the potential to reduce components not in the product.

No, it is not necessarily better to add the magnesium on the basis of testing. Anyone using a true two part (say, ESV B-ionic) is not controlling magnesium independently, and they do not seem to worry so much. Only folks who "can" control them independently seem to worry about doing so. Magnesium testing is fraught with error. The 16% ratio is a typical demand estimate, and will vary a bit tank to tank. By far the biggest issues tank to tank is excessive starting levels of magnesium due to high levels in salt mixes. But whatever the level is, the 16% is designed to keep it there. The amount getting into calcium carbonate varies with organism using it, so there is some variability. Coralline uses a lot, some corals less so.

It won't always be perfect, and if you find magnesium rising or falling, it is certainly reasonable to dose more or less. But IMO, day to day or even week to week changes in magnesium levels and dosing are more likely to be driven by test error than real consumption since the decline in magnesium is so slow.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciated Randy,
One last question, in relation of dosing amount compare to the original 2 Part recipe would it be a different or it’s relatively close to the amount I’m currently dosing?

The alk and calcium delivered daily is exactly the same. The demand in the tank (both from organisms and from abiotic precipitation) may rise a bit as the pH rises, so you may need more.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry Randy for asking too many question, can this solution be made in large quantities (5 gals) and be kept in airtight container with not issues?

Yes. CO2 will try to enter the alk part from the air, so keep it tightly closed. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back