Second New DIY Two Part Recipe with Higher pH Boost

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy for all your help with this and all the time you spend helping everyone here.

I've been using your DIY recipes for 11 years -- first the 3-part, then the 2-part with magnesium chloride and sodium sulfate. I've also been using saturated kalkwasser for top off.

I've wondered if my tanks might have some ionic imbalance, and an ICP test confirmed that some were a bit low, potassium and strontium in particular. So I'm going to start using TM Balling Part C (which means I'll go back to your 3-part, but not use the third magnesium part). In determining dosage, I need to consider not only how much Alkalinity (or calcium) I'm dosing, but also what I'm adding in as kalkwasser, correct? Assuming yes, any suggestions for how to calculate this based on how much saturated kalkwasser I add in my top-off?

Thanks.
If memory serves be right @Randy Holmes-Farley 's recipe is x45 stronger than kalk per gallon in the past when switching I think I just divided by 45 and it was pretty dang close.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy for all your help with this and all the time you spend helping everyone here.

I've been using your DIY recipes for 11 years -- first the 3-part, then the 2-part with magnesium chloride and sodium sulfate. I've also been using saturated kalkwasser for top off.

I've wondered if my tanks might have some ionic imbalance, and an ICP test confirmed that some were a bit low, potassium and strontium in particular. So I'm going to start using TM Balling Part C (which means I'll go back to your 3-part, but not use the third magnesium part). In determining dosage, I need to consider not only how much Alkalinity (or calcium) I'm dosing, but also what I'm adding in as kalkwasser, correct? Assuming yes, any suggestions for how to calculate this based on how much saturated kalkwasser I add in my top-off?

Thanks.
No, ignore the kalkwasser additions in determining Balling Part C as it does not create any significant ion imbalance.

astreck827

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using this alkalinity recipe for a few batches now with good results, but there are some parts I don’t really understand. It’s certainly due to my lack of advanced chemistry knowledge, but… my understanding is that corals combine calcium and carbonate to form their skeletons. if we swap sodium bicarb or sodium carbonate for sodium hydroxide, where is the carbonate coming from? Is there enough free carbon for the hydroxide ions to bind to and form carbonate? And am I missing any major components by sticking to premade BRS 2 part packets for the calcium and magnesium portions?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using this alkalinity recipe for a few batches now with good results, but there are some parts I don’t really understand. It’s certainly due to my lack of advanced chemistry knowledge, but… my understanding is that corals combine calcium and carbonate to form their skeletons. if we swap sodium bicarb or sodium carbonate for sodium hydroxide, where is the carbonate coming from? Is there enough free carbon for the hydroxide ions to bind to and form carbonate? And am I missing any major components by sticking to premade BRS 2 part packets for the calcium and magnesium portions?
It's the combination of CO2 (atmospheric) and OH (from the hydroxide) that form carbonate and bicarbonate. RHF's article on kalkwasser give a run down on it:

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
use this to make my Alk.

Part 1- Alk part
Add 283 grams of sodium hydroxide to 1 gallon of fresh water.

Its done well in raising my PH 8.71 to 9.03

PH little higher now than I prefer. Is it ok to dilute this solution?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
use this to make my Alk.

Part 1- Alk part

I would recalibrate your pH probe.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
use this to make my Alk.

Part 1- Alk part

Do you really mean those pH values?

yes, all of my recipes can be diluted.

KTTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221022_094959.jpg
    Screenshot_20221022_094959.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 28

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk is 7.9 to 8.1 daily. I used APEX 7 and 10 calibration solution.
I highly doubt the pH results of your alkalinity is around 8dKH.

Make sure you rinse the probe in RO/DI prior to dipping in any of the solutions (a quick tap on the probe to shake off excess RO/DI is adequate).

Make sure the pH solutions are around 77-78F when calibrating.

Gently stir the pH probe in the solutions until the readings stabilize.

Report back on the results. :)

thejacgues

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @Randy Holmes-Farley thanks for the recipe. As far as I am aware, average consumption of kH to Ca is around 7.14:1, right? I wonder, if 1kg of Sodium Hydroxide lasts me for 1 month, how long would 1kg of Tropic Marin Component C server me for? To make a true 4-part out of your great recipe.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cost is not so bad if I am calculating correctly.
1kg is ~$18
Using the BRS recommendation of 7.5 scoops per gallon of water.
That 1kg should make right under 6 gallons of the mixture.
Based on 130ml of alk/cal dosed daily, so 130ml of Part C or 3640ml(~1 gallon) a month.
So 2 boxes a year or $36/year.
For the 3rd part you can either use the magnesium mix or balling part C. The latter is more desirable because it keeps more ions than just chloride and sulfate in balance.
Could you use the same recipe from this thread, and just swap the magnesium part for Tropic Marin Part C at 7.5 scoops per gallon?

Alk283 grams Sodium Hydroxide
Calcium500 Grams calcium chloride dihydrate OR
400 grams calcium chloride anhydrous or monohydrate
Tropic Marin Part C168 grams (7.5 scoops)
Adding 1 gallon RO/DI to each part, and dosing in equal amounts.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you use the same recipe from this thread, and just swap the magnesium part for Tropic Marin Part C at 7.5 scoops per gallon?
Yes. Exactly correct. Tropic marine balling part C and the DIY magnesium mix are interchangeable, with the Balling Part C more desirable for keeping the sea water more in balance, but also more expensive.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'd use 236 mL of the AF mineral salt solution for each 100 mL of the alk part of my Recipe #1 or the hydroxide recipe given here.
How would you prepare the solution of AF Mineral Salt to match it with the dose of Alk like that?

Following the aquaforest recipe, you'd dissolve 25 gr Mineral Salt + 10 MgCl2x6H2O in 1 liter RO/DI.
That means 236 ml contains 5,9 gr of dry Mineral Salt + 2,36 dry MgCl2x6H2O.
Is that equivalent to 200 ml of Tropic Marin Part C, containing 8,8 of dry Part C?

Thanks a lot! The AF Mineral Salt seems it'd turn out to be a much cheaper option than TM Part C!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Alk283 grams Sodium Hydroxide
Calcium500 Grams calcium chloride dihydrate OR
400 grams calcium chloride anhydrous or monohydrate
Tropic Marin Part C168 grams (7.5 scoops)
Adding 1 gallon RO/DI to each part, and dosing in equal amounts.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Yes, stop using the part 3 and use Balling Part C at the standard dose recommended by BRS for my carbonate recipe (which BRS uses via soda ash) or as recommended by TM based on alk or calcium dosed.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you prepare the solution of AF Mineral Salt to match it with the dose of Alk like that?

Following the aquaforest recipe, you'd dissolve 25 gr Mineral Salt + 10 MgCl2x6H2O in 1 liter RO/DI.
That means 236 ml contains 5,9 gr of dry Mineral Salt + 2,36 dry MgCl2x6H2O.
Is that equivalent to 200 ml of Tropic Marin Part C, containing 8,8 of dry Part C?

Thanks a lot! The AF Mineral Salt seems it'd turn out to be a much cheaper option than TM Part C!

I just based the recommendation off of the AF directions. I’ve never compared the AF to Bslling Part C recipes, but I would assume they are similar.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back