Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Chrisanthellae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Let us know what happens. :)
Hi there, long time no update so I thought I'd report back on what happened. Turns out the precipitation issues I was having were due to high calcium. My API test kit was bad. API said 400, new Salifert kit said ~600 (the chart stops at 500 but I assumed it continues linearly).

I did a few water changes and stopped dosing calcium until it came down to ~460. I'm able to maintain Alk around 8.5 now with no precipitation!

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, long time no update so I thought I'd report back on what happened. Turns out the precipitation issues I was having were due to high calcium. My API test kit was bad. API said 400, new Salifert kit said ~600 (the chart stops at 500 but I assumed it continues linearly).

I did a few water changes and stopped dosing calcium until it came down to ~460. I'm able to maintain Alk around 8.5 now with no precipitation!

Thanks for the update!

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using this method, and it seems to work great. The only thing I'm wondering is how do I now stabilize my salinity? The other day when I checked it, it had gone up to 42.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently using this method, and it seems to work great. The only thing I'm wondering is how do I now stabilize my salinity? The other day when I checked it, it had gone up to 42.

The salinity rise is the same compared to all two parts (maybe a bit less here, than some complete two parts).

The way to offset the rise with all two parts is to remove some tank w ater periodically and replace with RO/DI.

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In a previous thread, I posted a true two part DIY recipe:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/new-diy-two-part-recipes-with-higher-ph-boost.344500/

But some folks may want to just swap the new ingredient into my 2/3 part recipe (as used by BRS, for example).

Here's the original recipe link (which has a lot more discussion on the details and rationale):

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

The new recipe is shown below. It has about twice the pH boost of the original recipe (#1) and should be added to a very high flow area. Initial cloudiness (magnesium hydroxide) is expected, but it should disperse and dissolve. If not, stop using it and figure out why.

Alk part

Add 283 grams of sodium hydroxide to 1 gallon of fresh water. It will get quite warm. Make sure it doesn't soften your container. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). BE CAREFUL WITH THIS SOLUTION: IT HAS A pH ABOVE 14. Do not get it in your eyes or on your skin.

Calcium part

Dissolve 500 grams (about 2 ½ cups) of calcium chloride dihydrate (such as Dowflake 77-80% calcium chloride or ESV calcium chloride; see below for substitutes and sources) in enough water to make 1 gallon of total volume. You can dissolve it in about ½ gallon of water, and then pour that into the 1 gallon container and fill it to the top with more freshwater. This solution has about 37,000 ppm calcium.

Magnesium part

Dissolve Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate heptahydrate (3 cups) and magnesium chloride hexahydrate (5 cups) in enough purified freshwater to make 1 gallon total volume. There will likely be a precipitate that forms even if you fully dissolve both ingredients separately. That precipitate is calcium sulfate (calcium as an impurity in the magnesium chloride and sulfate from the Epsom salts). It is fine and appropriate to dose the precipitate along with the remainder of the fluid by shaking it up before dosing.

This solution is added much less frequently or in lower volume than the other two parts. Add 16% as much as the other two parts. Over the time you add 1 gallon of the others, 1 add 610 mL (2 ½ cups) of this solution. You can add it all at once or, preferably, over time as you choose, depending on the aquarium's size and set up. Add it to a high flow area, preferably a sump. In a very small aquarium, or one without a sump, I suggest adding it slowly.
where is the best place to buy sodium hydroxide from?

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
where is the best place to buy sodium hydroxide from?
I bought some from Amazon by Belle Chemical that is food grade, others have used it as well. 2 pounds for $16 or 1 pound for $10.

I was going to try switching to this instead of kalkwasser, but I started to get worried about it chewing through my Versa pumps so decided to stick with Kalkwasser. I do use it zap Aiptasia though without any apparent adverse effects.

I may still try it down the line for alkalinity though if I can find a reliable dosing container/tubing/pump to run it.

Hope that helps

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put 1,000g of calcium chloride and 566g Sodium hydroxide in 2 separate gallon containers - essentially doubling the concentration of the original recipe.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put 1,000g of calcium chloride and 566g Sodium hydroxide in 2 separate gallon containers - essentially doubling the concentration of the original recipe.

Yes. The concern becomes more and more potential for precipitation of calcium carbonate in the aquarium before the additives (especially alk) disperse into the bulk water.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. The concern becomes more and more potential for precipitation of calcium carbonate in the aquarium before the additives (especially alk) disperse into the bulk water.
I drip the solution very slowly using the BRS 1.1mL pumps.

For now, I will keep the concentration the same, but when the demand vastly increases, I will consider doubling the concentration and halving the dose. I don’t want to use a calcium reactor, ever. Someone said 2-part might not work long-term with a very high-demand tank. :)

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drip the solution very slowly using the BRS 1.1mL pumps.

For now, I will keep the concentration the same, but when the demand vastly increases, I will consider doubling the concentration and halving the dose. I don’t want to use a calcium reactor, ever. Someone said 2-part might not work long-term with a very high-demand tank. :)

I cannot see how it would fail, as long as one keeps up with salinity changes and what impact that may have on other ions (e.g., potassium) either by using a complete two part or using Balling Part C as a part 3.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot see how it would fail, as long as one keeps up with salinity changes and what impact that may have on other ions (e.g., potassium) either by using a complete two part or using Balling Part C as a part 3.
I do keep up with the salinity rise. My skimmer and filter socks tend to remove water, and I keep a close tab on my conductivity probe; I will remove saltwater as needed and replace it with my ATO.

I also use the Balling Part C; just how you recommended it to me. :)

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then the sky's the limit!
I bought bulk mag chloride and some sulfate…… trying to use that up first. From what I am reading, I should use tropic marin bailing part C for magnesium?
I guess the ratios for chloride and sulfate are not conducive to sodium hydroxide 2 part. I also top off my tank with 2 gallons of Kalkwasser everynight instead of plain jane rodi.

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought bulk mag chloride and some sulfate…… trying to use that up first. From what I am reading, I should use tropic marin bailing part C for magnesium?
I guess the ratios for chloride and sulfate are not conducive to sodium hydroxide 2 part. I also top off my tank with 2 gallons of Kalkwasser everynight instead of plain jane rodi.
Nevermind, just re read your first post. 3 cups sulfate and 5 cups chloride for mag is fine……looks like you have been answering same questions for 4 years on this post and likely 20 years on other forums…..thanks for being patient with us

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The proper ratio of chloride to sulfate has noting to do with the type of alk supplement between bicarbonate, carbonate, or hydroxide.

The preference for Balling Part C comes from it having a wider range of ions than does the recipe on page 1 of this thread?

Does it matter? Maybe, maybe not. Depends on lots of things, like water change amount and frequency. But Balling part C is never worse.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind, just re read your first post. 3 cups sulfate and 5 cups chloride for mag is fine……looks like you have been answering same questions for 4 years on this post and likely 20 years on other forums…..thanks for being patient with us

lol

I started answering reef chemistry question on Compuserve FIshnet in the early to mid 1990's. :)
Thanks and Happy Reefing! :)

laythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey randy i have a question regarding potency of the sodium hydroxide (recipe 1) in comparison to brs 2 part soda ash.

i currently dose 140ml of brs soda ash daily to maintain 8dkh. how much will i be required to dose in sodium hydroxide (283 grams of sodium hydroxide in 1gal of rodi) ?

my calculation is coming up to the same amount am i correct?

also will it be more beneficial to use calcium hydroxide as cal source and sodium hydroxide as alk source or does calcium hydroxide raises both alk and cal? and if yes to raising both whats the alk raisabilty of kalk? maybe use both in combination if alk can be maintained by both sides without causing a spike.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back