Securely mounting a kalk reactor?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got an avast marine k1 and I'm looking for a way to secure it so it doesn't get bumped or spilled. Ideally it would be able to be removed. It's a 4" pvc equivalent pipe and I know they make a pvc pipe clamp at bulk reef supply. But I just can't bring myself to spend $40 on a clamp!

There's not really enough meat to screw the base through anything, and it needs to go up about 6" off the pan under the sump to drain properly. Anyone have any good ideas?

k1_new_grande.jpg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

That thing is the bomb. I put mine in my sump. Kept it safe in case of overflow. But I also had it external at one point. The water kept it weighed down enough it didn’t tip over. Should not be a problem unless it is in an area where you are always going in and out a lot.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that's what the wife said also, but I wasn't sure if that was a good idea. I do have a spot that probably has room behind the skimmer, but don't you have to clean it out every so often? I guess not sure big deal, just one more thing in the sump. Thanks!

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt be real concerned but you can always just put a plumbing strap around it for good measure maybe a piece of rubber on the strap so it didn't scratch. I'd tap the holes and use thumb bolts though so you can remove it easily.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do need to clean it out every so often.

About every 2 weeks you may need to add a few tablespoons of kalk to the stirrer . So you will want access to the lid to pour a little ro water mixed with the kalk in. And then every so often access to pull out the unit to clean. Not all the kalk will alwas dissolve, so the bottom should be cleaned out once a month or so. When you clean it out get the gray pvc elbow and the little breather hole real good to avoid clogging.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I put it in the sump hooked up to a peristaltic pump. It's pretty stable being squeezed in besides the skimmer now that it's full. I am mixing it for 5 minutes at the beginning of the hour and dosing at 15 after the hour. Starting off at just 10ml an hour to make sure it works for the first few days and then move it up from there. Mixer is a tad noisy sometimes, but I can barely hear it now that it's been in use for a while. We'll see how we do! Thanks!

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stirrer should be quite. I left mine running constantly and never heard it. If you just got yours and it is noisy I would call Avast.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I realized that the cheapo Jabao Dosing pump wasn't going to cut it for volume. I decided to employ another Avast product, their Diaphragm pump. My ATO reservoir is about 30' away in a boiler room, so I've been using a float switch and remote EB8 in there to control the ATO successfully for the past ~4 years. I bought a replacement Diaphragm pump from Avast, just to be safe, but since I hadn't replace it yet, I put to use to power the K1 stirrer. It's pretty fast, but running it for 10 seconds yielded 110mL, so I cut that in half to do about 50-60mL every hour giving me about 1300mL roughly a day. At some point I'll pony up for a more constant flow Peristaltic pump like the FX-STP, but for now that should suit. The Reeftronics calculator helped out quite a bit with the Oscillate command; I figure it does about 660mL/minute. They always seem to be out, but the pump has done awesome for me.

Dosing Calculator

IMG_20200727_130418.jpg IMG_20200727_130458.jpg

Last edited:

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 81 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.3%
Back