Securing a Maxima clam

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some advice. I have a fairly new Maxima clam that can't get a chance to attach anywhere. He is either being knocked over by a Conch or my Urchin or my Regal Tang picks him up to drop him. Yes.. I call him my decorator tang. He normally picks on my hermit crabs but now is focused on the clam. I He carries stuff to the top of the tank and watches it flutter down.

Is there something I can do to help the clam attach faster? If he was in a location he liked, how fast can he attach on his own?

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxima to my knowledge should attach within a week, I would let them roam alone and find a location that they appear to like and then concern trade on placing a surface for it to attach in that location. Just initially do try to put it in a start location where flow isn't direct and light IS of abundance and let them work it out themselves. Once they've settled then they no doubt would attach given the chance.

@DSC reef
@jda

Thoughts gang?

For now. Chow,

A.

PS, any pictures, as we do like them ;)

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxima to my knowledge should attach within a week, I would let them roam alone and find a location that they appear to like and then concern trade on placing a surface for it to attach in that location. Just initially do try to put it in a start location where flow isn't direct and light IS of abundance and let them work it out themselves. Once they've settled then they no doubt would attach given the chance.

@DSC reef
@jda

Thoughts gang?

For now. Chow,

A.

PS, any pictures, as we do like them ;)
So I need to keep it in its happy place for a week for it to attach? Could be a challenge. This pic is a few weeks old.
DSC_0004.jpg

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have two maximas in my tank. Both of them anchored to my cured rock plug. Bury a decent rubble, rock plug or clam cradle on the sand and place the clam on top. It should latch itself in a day or two. Plus perk, you can move the clam wherever. Maybe cut a 2-liter bottle to cover the clam while it's trying to latch onto something.

20180918_132510.jpg

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have two maximas in my tank. Both of them anchored to my cured rock plug. Bury a decent rubble, rock plug or clam cradle on the sand and place the clam on top. It should latch itself in a day or two. Plus perk, you can move the clam wherever. Maybe cut a 2-liter bottle to cover the clam while it's trying to latch onto something.

20180918_132510.jpg
Wonderful Clams!

This is what I have been trying to do. Either he isn't being left alone on them long enough to attach, or he doesn't seem to want to attach there. I've thought about building a little cage around him, but I worry it would block light and make it so he doesn't want to attach.

BadPanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonderful Clams!

This is what I have been trying to do. Either he isn't being left alone on them long enough to attach, or he doesn't seem to want to attach there. I've thought about building a little cage around him, but I worry it would block light and make it so he doesn't want to attach.
You can try a temp crate cage for the meantime if you're worried about lighting. I remembered reading somewhere regarding using a crate with success.

B0brobert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can give LRS Reef Frenzy to your tang. I did that to mine also my tang stop nipping my clam. I also put a net around me clam.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try a temp crate cage for the meantime if you're worried about lighting. I remembered reading somewhere regarding using a crate with success.
I may have to go this route. Hopefully the clam won't mind. I'll put this on tomorrows "to do" list. Hopefully the clam won't mind!

You can give LRS Reef Frenzy to your tang. I did that to mine also my tang stop nipping my clam. I also put a net around me clam.
I feed LRS fish frenzy. He is fat. I'm convinced he does it for entertainment.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's a skittish tang, no way he will reach into the box. And, the urchin and conch's can't get to it. So far, it's working well.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Your Maximus clam may be similar to mine and after almost 7 months mine still hasn’t attached and or moved. Granted my fish leave it alone, but it is possible they won’t attach. I have mine it’s personal Little Rock to stay on. But I’m able to move that rock any where needed.

Another thing you may try is a plastic fry strainer. Clams still need flow so, it may not get much in there. This way your tang and conch can’t get to it, but it gets protection and flow and light still:) equals happy clam

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Your Maximus clam may be similar to mine and after almost 7 months mine still hasn’t attached and or moved. Granted my fish leave it alone, but it is possible they won’t attach. I have mine it’s personal Little Rock to stay on. But I’m able to move that rock any where needed.

Another thing you may try is a plastic fry strainer. Clams still need flow so, it may not get much in there. This way your tang and conch can’t get to it, but it gets protection and flow and light still:) equals happy clam
Good idea!

I figure if he doesn't attach like this I'll build an egg crate home for him. My silly tang will test everything in my tank trying to move it. I can't use a frag rack in my DT. I love that fish, but he is very frustrating.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back