Security cameras

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to buy some security cameras for my house. But I don’t want to pay a monthly subscription. I have one of the Arlo indoor cameras not bd but it only records about a minute and stores recordings for 7 days which isn’t bad. I believe their multi camera setup require a subscription. Looking for suggestions thanks!

paparoof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best recommendation I can offer is to go here and read up: https://ipcamtalk.com/

My system is 100% local to my house. No subscriptions, and everything continues working if the Internet connection goes down. I live in a 100-year old stucco house so wifi cameras are just about useless and I have to run Ethernet cable to each one. So all cameras are POE (Power Over Ethernet) so at least I don't have to also run power cables.

For a DVR I run Blue Iris on a Windows box, and I have Amcrest and Dahua cameras - I recommend the Dahua.

3 cameras record motion-detected video (mostly squirrels) to a 1TB drive in the Blue Iris box and I get about two months worth of clips (at the moment my oldest clip is from December 1).

Last edited:

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to buy some security cameras for my house. But I don’t want to pay a monthly subscription. I have one of the Arlo indoor cameras not bd but it only records about a minute and stores recordings for 7 days which isn’t bad. I believe their multi camera setup require a subscription. Looking for suggestions thanks!

No real suggestions for systems themselves but if I can offer a friendly piece of advice. Before purchasing and installing a system, look up any local and federal laws governing placement and type of cameras allowed.

My inlaws neighbor found out the hard way when he showed a video from his system to a by-law officer that showed my inlaws back yard and the sounds of my inlaws dog barking (the disturbance he was reporting).

The by-law officer promptly passed the video on to police and he is now facing federal charges because it is Illegal to record video of someone else's property and record sound in Canada.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I checked Canada had the same similiar photography laws as the US, and that is you can take pictures / photography from a public place of anything you want, and that includes private property, people, oil refineries, military installations, cops, etc. If you are in your yard and take a picture of the neighboors yard it isn't against the law. If you record sound from your yard it isn't against the law. If you record sound of your employees on break talking about the boss there might be a privacy issue.

I don't think there are laws in Canada dictating where you can put cameras on your own darn property. Judging by first amendment audits on youtube Canadian mounties seem poorly educated on this matter and are generating lawsuits.

Montreal does have unique consent laws of taking pictures of of people in public. I seriously doubt it extends to being on your own property and and seeing your neighboors property. If it is...please post the ordinance.

I use Blue Iris on a spare PC, and Nellys Brand IP cams. As many megapixels as you can possible use, and cost $50. Rock solid.

The question is if you want features like zooming, panning, etc.

gpd124

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I checked Canada had the same similiar photography laws as the US, and that is you can take pictures / photography from a public place of anything you want, and that includes private property, people, oil refineries, military installations, cops, etc. If you are in your yard and take a picture of the neighboors yard it isn't against the law. If you record sound from your yard it isn't against the law. If you record sound of your employees on break talking about the boss there might be a privacy issue.

I am not sure that public / private matters as much as the question of “does the individual(s) being recorded have a reasonable expectation of privacy” - this goes for sound or video.

OP
OP
A

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to watch what’s on my property like my back door and my garage. And the Arlo I have is inside my enclosed porch and records when you step onto my walkway. And for the most part in nyc security cameras are pretty much everywhere. If there are laws they’re. Not being enforced. I will check out that link.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't think there are laws in Canada dictating where you can put cameras on your own darn property. Judging by first amendment audits on youtube Canadian mounties seem poorly educated on this matter and are generating lawsuits.

Montreal does have unique consent laws of taking pictures of of people in public. I seriously doubt it extends to being on your own property and and seeing your neighboors property. If it is...please post the ordinance.

I use Blue Iris on a spare PC, and Nellys Brand IP cams. As many megapixels as you can possible use, and cost $50. Rock solid.

The question is if you want features like zooming, panning, etc.

Enjoy the read.

Some are specific to London, however the rest of those laws are federal

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have Arlo and the compact size and clarity is unbelievable

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Uniden guardian g955 is a cheaper unit. Works pretty good. No subscription needed. It has a wifi direct signal so you don't need internet for it either. I have 4 cameras running on it.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enjoy the read.

Some are specific to London, however the rest of those laws are federal
And they get shot down on appeal.

There's also a difference between pointing cameras at somebody's house and flood lights pointed at their house.

These are just kangaroo ordinances, and are pretty sad based on a province by province basis.

ChrisKSB

King of GHA Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Lorex, have a 16 channel 4k IP camera system. No monthly fee and I can access from anywhere. Works for me...let me know if you have any questions about it!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back