Selling chalice frags without eyes?

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are people's thoughts on selling/buying chalice by the dimension and not by the eye. I see places selling BGM for example 1/4"x1/4" frags for $200, would you buy it?

I myself have sold a few frags of things without an eye for less then it would be with one. I didn't feel right doing it, but it was agreed upon before the sale was made.

EliteReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would say that if the coral is healthy and it is a known factor prior to purchase then that up to the buyer and i see no problem with it. on a personal level i have never been a fan of the booger frags and would love to see it fade away. i dont think thats happening any time soon though

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selling frags without eyes is just greedy.

If you can't frag a coral with at least an eye, then I would not buy it. What would happen if the coral is doa? If the original frag is that small, I doubt the replacement will be any larger :(

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would never buy a frag with out a eye. It slows the growth SO much. I have tried this just to exp (didnt sell the frag) It took my BGM a fast grower roughly 2-3 months to grow a eye. Also the piece i cut off wasnt the smallest either i have gotten frags 1/2 the size of the BGM i cut, with a eye.

Bio-nut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am anti- itty bitty fragging commitee. If you are sending someone a 1"X 1" piece that has been cut for a few weeks and has not died then I would say that saling without eyes might be okay depending on the chalice. But I would say that it is just as bad if not worse to send someone a frag of something that is 1/4"X1/4" that has one eye. THAT IS THE EYE. Enough with this chop shop mentality. when I make trades of sale to and from people I ask that there is at least 1/4 of healthy growth all the way around the eye of the chalice. AND NO FRESH CUTS! I have watched Matt of FNF cut frags of Monster mash into 1/8" slivers less than a bugger, and he might as well thrown the colony in the trash.

Last edited:

ReeferRob

Give me your Brains!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a good way for me to get into the chalice game!!! I think you guys spending anything more than $75 bucks on a thumb nail frag of anything should be punched in the taint. But hey you know they say opinions are like a holes, everyones got one and some stink.:tongue:

Another reason other than financialy that I would like this idea, is becuase I find it very rewarding to find a browned out coral or half dead or injured or infested coral at an LFS and nurturing it back to life. Watching it grow and heal and color is amazing.

Most of my SPS frags in grow out were from tips that were broken off by accident somewhere. (LFS, swap, friends) that were less than a centimeter and I mounted and grew into nice big frags.

So ya Mike, if your fragging some stuff and a little booger falls off or you end up with un sellable scrap, give me a shout! I love those chalices, but loath the prices!

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prices dont change much i saw a bahomma momma with no eye for 300, when one with a eye is 350-400. Thats not the only case i would say when this does happen it only lowers the 300+ eye frags 50-100 bills

OP
OP
Blackhawk Fan

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The prices dont change much i saw a bahomma momma with no eye for 300, when one with a eye is 350-400. Thats not the only case i would say when this does happen it only lowers the 300+ eye frags 50-100 bills

I will admit that was me and I will never do that again. :sad:

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not going to point any fingers and there has been many other people to do. I see the logic as a person who has bought a chalice eye's for 400 bills a piece i would rather spend the extra money and get a eye. Some people might find it a way to get one of those hot names pieces and 77-100 bills makes a diffrence to them on a 300 dollar frag. On a side note that Flame thrower you offered me was the lergest i was offered i ended up going with a large package deal though from some one else.

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally HATE getting chalice frags with 0 eyes. I got a High Octane piece with no eyes and it was dead within a month :(

I also got another chalice in the past with out an eye and it also died.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never buy an eyeless frag. I did once (first chalice frag I ever bought for >$100 - tyree pink WM - D'oh! :beat_brick:). Needless to say it died. Even though I had the good fortune once of someone telling me the eyeless FT frag I just turned down sprouted like 5 eyes... :what: (I could have gone on with my life quite happily without knowing that).

I also agree with Bio-nut about micro frags. Unless you are purposely doing a microfrag for microfrag trade or something, don't bother. You're coral is STILL TOO SMALL TO CUT!

Last edited:

pcfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a miami hurricane that I took off a plug. It broke around the edge. I took the broken piece cut it in half and mounted them on pluggs. One piece died within a week the other piece made it. With in a couple of month the piece had grown from a 1/4 in to over half and inch and sprouted two eyes.

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will never buy nor sell a chalice without an eye.... I have been offered with some of my chalices but I refuse to sell it....

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started buying chalices and have received a couple of boogers. Pink ******* booger had no eye and twice has almost died on me. It has the slowest growth and colors are way off. I'm new so I never asked for a picture of the frag in advance. Other boogers I've gotten have 1-2 eyes and have been healthy and growing strong. Can't wait until my stuff starts growing out. I'll be selling/trading for cheaper and giving out bigger frags.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back