Semir's Reef

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Im going to be doing Soft Coral again, i mean.... it says it under my name. how could you go wrong with it. I think my main focus is going to be mushroom and zoas. I definitely will be adding kenya tree's and toadstools cause those are in my top 5.

As for fishies, Ive been looking and looking. Ive had so many and to be honest i think im sticking away from clowns and the usual nano tank suspects. LOL.

Right now, the fish i want is a yasha goby. i think they are very interesting especially with its symbiotic relationship.

BUT

Ive decided to go with the original plan and that is a frogfish. Ive been doing so much research on these things for the past several months that i even considered to add on a small short 1-2g freshwater tank for ghost shrimp. lol... (although i can most likely add the ghost shrimp to the reef tank after slowly slowly drip acclimating them.
I ordered ghost shrim/feeder shrimp from RUsalty and they are saltwater ready. I originally purchased them for a puffer who I end up getting rid of because he was eating zoas when he hunted amphiopods. And can’t have a fish eating the expensive corals. I still have 8 or so shrimp in my tank. Great little clean up crew. If they are reproducing viable babies I’m sure the fish eat them or the corals. I keep thinking I need to catch like 3 of them and put them back in the sump where the babies have a chance

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
02CBCDF0-DFBB-4B27-89EB-92C4AF5D2E68.jpeg
B4628DAB-4E7C-444F-AAFF-4AFE06F77EB2.jpeg
347C4931-605C-4C6F-A58A-788994533A48.jpeg
723A4F47-30EE-4A15-AEDB-DE455C6DC435.jpeg

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered ghost shrim/feeder shrimp from RUsalty and they are saltwater ready. I originally purchased them for a puffer who I end up getting rid of because he was eating zoas when he hunted amphiopods. And can’t have a fish eating the expensive corals. I still have 8 or so shrimp in my tank. Great little clean up crew. If they are reproducing viable babies I’m sure the fish eat them or the corals. I keep thinking I need to catch like 3 of them and put them back in the sump where the babies have a chance
oh snap ok. ill check it out

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king Hi. ok we can continue here. Might as well, like this if we answer someone else's question, it works.

So i know the very basics of this fish such as not to feed to big or to maintain a great diet to avoid fatty liver.

but here's what i dont know, and im sure ill keep making questions up as we go. so if i seem annoying, please let me know.

1) How affected by nitrate are they, i usually like to run my tanks a tad higher when it comes to nitrate. I know it doesn't affect fish much but might as well ask.
2) Is a constant diet on live ghost shrimp enough? Or will a Molly have to be given in order to maintain a good diet?
3) My rock work does seem to be adequate for the fish, what should i add or is it fine as is?
4) What would be ideal to feed the shrimp to provide proper nutrition?
5) ive heard that people normally keep these up to about a year or two before they pass, is this true or is this because of improper care?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been able to keep them over 3 years, I believe the biggest contributor to an early demise, will be overfeeding. Most people think of overfeeding is only about the amount you feed at a feeding. In the case of ambush predators, it's usually in the form of feeding too frequently. Within 6 months a weekly feeding will suffice. They follow a gorge/fast feeding routine; so feed well until you see a nice bulge, then give some time between feedings for digestion. Temp may also come into play; in the wild they are in water temps in the high 60s to 70, so keep the water temp at the lowest end you can.

Nitrates may play a role, but it appears to be at about 30ppm or higher. I did notice some decline in appetite when nitrates reached that high. When they go off feeding; check nitrates, assess whether you have been overfeeding, boost up your mg, just let them take a break. Don't go longer than 3 weeks without getting very concerned. They can go long periods without eating, but at some point, they just won't eat again.

Rockwork, I've found the warty isn't that big on cave dwelling, they'd be happier perched on your fav coral. They will wedge themselves against a rock with a bit of overhang. They don't care for strong flow or high light, so there does need to be spots in the tank with blocked, subdued flow, as well as lighting. The painted angler needs a cave.

I feed my ghosties Omega One micro pellets. You can feed them a variety of high quality micro pellet or flake food, even including an algae formula or a variety containing algae. Predatory fish get their green nutrients from their prey, so the guts of their food does well to include algae. While I have had preds live many years living mostly on ghosties, I do see the value of including fish in their diet. While ghosties have shells, the bones in fish are much denser; and more importantly, the live gut flora.

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been able to keep them over 3 years, I believe the biggest contributor to an early demise, will be overfeeding. Most people think of overfeeding is only about the amount you feed at a feeding. In the case of ambush predators, it's usually in the form of feeding too frequently. Within 6 months a weekly feeding will suffice. They follow a gorge/fast feeding routine; so feed well until you see a nice bulge, then give some time between feedings for digestion. Temp may also come into play; in the wild they are in water temps in the high 60s to 70, so keep the water temp at the lowest end you can.

Nitrates may play a role, but it appears to be at about 30ppm or higher. I did notice some decline in appetite when nitrates reached that high. When they go off feeding; check nitrates, assess whether you have been overfeeding, boost up your mg, just let them take a break. Don't go longer than 3 weeks without getting very concerned. They can go long periods without eating, but at some point, they just won't eat again.

Rockwork, I've found the warty isn't that big on cave dwelling, they'd be happier perched on your fav coral. They will wedge themselves against a rock with a bit of overhang. They don't care for strong flow or high light, so there does need to be spots in the tank with blocked, subdued flow, as well as lighting. The painted angler needs a cave.

I feed my ghosties Omega One micro pellets. You can feed them a variety of high quality micro pellet or flake food, even including an algae formula or a variety containing algae. Predatory fish get their green nutrients from their prey, so the guts of their food does well to include algae. While I have had preds live many years living mostly on ghosties, I do see the value of including fish in their diet. While ghosties have shells, the bones in fish are much denser; and more importantly, the live gut flora.
You are really knowledgeable! I appreciate this. thank you :)

So i think what ill do today, in maintenance for my tank. Turning the temp down from 80 to 72.

Does this fish need extra room to move around? Does it do well with inverts such as snails, starfish? (obviously not shrimp cause that's food LOL)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails and starfish are ok, I don't prefer to keep crabs with them, just in case the crabs decide to nibble on their toes. They are sedentary creatures, so they are not overly axtive, a warty will be fine in tanks as small as 20g, while the painted would enjoy a bit more. For feeding purposes a warty is really more at home in something like a 20g +/-, they enjoy different elevations, likely their naturally hunting insticts, and at least a small open area.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You are really knowledgeable! I appreciate this. thank you :)

So i think what ill do today, in maintenance for my tank. Turning the temp down from 80 to 72.

Does this fish need extra room to move around? Does it do well with inverts such as snails, starfish? (obviously not shrimp cause that's food LOL)
let that temp fall gradually ,8 degrees in a day is too much,try to bring down over course of approx 2 degrees a day... :cool:

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails and starfish are ok, I don't prefer to keep crabs with them, just in case the crabs decide to nibble on their toes. They are sedentary creatures, so they are not overly axtive, a warty will be fine in tanks as small as 20g, while the painted would enjoy a bit more. For feeding purposes a warty is really more at home in something like a 20g +/-, they enjoy different elevations, likely their naturally hunting insticts, and at least a small open area.
sounds good. Thank you. If anything comes to mind ill just @ you. I appreciate it. :)

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested Tank Parameters, Test #3
Temp: 80
Salinity: 1.026
pH: 8.1
Alk: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 80
Calcium: 460
Mg: 1320

Note: Tank had a 80% Water Change two days ago. Nitrate is still very high. My guess would be the sand. Thinking about removing the sand to be honest. Never had good luck with sand anyway. Sand was not siphoned because im waiting for my new python to come in.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@lion king Do Wartskin frogfish need a sand bed? if not im removing mine, it causes too much problems for me.

I don't think so, I've always had a sandbed for aesthetics so I've never tried it though. I don't see how a sandbed serves any purpose, I guess if they don't like the feeling of the glass, they can always perch on a rock. They do walk though so I've not sure if they need it for traction. Either way I don't see how it could be detrimental to their health.

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so, I've always had a sandbed for aesthetics so I've never tried it though. I don't see how a sandbed serves any purpose, I guess if they don't like the feeling of the glass, they can always perch on a rock. They do walk though so I've not sure if they need it for traction. Either way I don't see how it could be detrimental to their health.
ok awesome. Thank you :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back