Separate loop for chiller?

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a build thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-180-sps-kingdom.305008/
And im at a stage where i have been drawing out different plans for my return. My current system runs from my sump through the chiller and back to the DT. When i started drawing out the plumbing for the new build i automaticly planned the return through a chiller. That plan is has the return running close to 10ft prior to splitting in 2 and making the turn verticle. It also reduces from 1in to 3/4. Then i came up with the idea of putting the chiller on its own loop. With its own pump to pull water from the sump and return to the sump. Which brings me to the reason for the thread. Has anyone run there chiller on a separate loop then there return? If so is there any complications or challenges with doing so? The plan for main system is to be running close to or around 1500gph. The chiller i have a mag 9 i could hookup and the loop would only be about 4 feet.
Let me know what you think

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be absolutely fine using a seperate pump to feed your chiller.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran mine off a manifold fed off of my return pump. You should be fine running it on a separate pump also.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to run my chiller this way, separate loop with small pump and works without a problem. I use a probe chiller now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back