Shelf for a Algae Scrubber

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they make a shelf for an algae scrubber that hangs over the glass of your sump?

to my knowledge there are sumps sold designed to integrate a scrubber. Otherwise I haven’t found anyone who sells pre-made support. I’m sure you could probably get something custom made from a company like octo aquatics.

I myself and going to try and DIY a solution for my CW-100

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A DIY bracket made out of PVC pipe works great!

8B6A0B17-F3B6-40D4-97E5-BEEA6BD1CED2.jpeg

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your original post of a shelf over your sump, I thought I was good. :) Perhaps a picture of your sump space and what you’re working with would help with suggestions.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A DIY bracket made out of PVC pipe works great!

8B6A0B17-F3B6-40D4-97E5-BEEA6BD1CED2.jpeg

thanks for sharing. That’s a much better idea than I had. I was thinking some kind of wood shelf. I’m using a 65g tote for a sump but a pvc frame like you made would work wonderfully

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your original post of a shelf over your sump, I thought I was good. :) Perhaps a picture of your sump space and what you’re working with would help with suggestions.
sorry I could have explained it better. Here is a picture

Attachments

• IMG_2894.JPG
    IMG_2894.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 91

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid work!
What are you plans when it comes to keeping nutrients in your system - I assume Ultra Low? With the filter roller, and protein skimmer, this alone could bottom out your nutrients - with ATS they might be untraceable.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solid work!
What are you plans when it comes to keeping nutrients in your system - I assume Ultra Low? With the filter roller, and protein skimmer, this alone could bottom out your nutrients - with ATS they might be untraceable.
Nutrients? I don't do anything just weekly water changes. What should I look for? I try to keep my tank easy to maintain. Was thinking of adding All-For-Reef. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• DSCF0649resized.JPG
    DSCF0649resized.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 68

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping your NO3 and NO4 in stable and desirable ranges. Ie. NO3 5-10ppm. NO4 Under .1 higher than .01. The combination of all the filtration you have would most likely strip those levels to a point where they’re untraceable - almost 100% certain of this, unless you decide to add to these levels by dosing NO3/4 pro by over feeding, which in my opinion is one of the oddest methods of adding more nutrients to your tank. You should have reliable test kits to track these numbers - especially once your ATS takes off - don’t forget before adding or subtracting to the nutrient levels- you should mess around with the light schedule on the ATS first. Super low NO3 - adjust the light schedule to fewer hours, the revers if your NO3 starts to increase.

As far as All For Reef... I’d suggest steering clear of this product at the current moment. Main reason is this stuff never hits the shelf - I swear I get a notification from BRS, and 1 second later they’re all sold out!! Secondly, your water changes are doing the trick - maybe look into AFR once you spread your water changes out to biweekly or monthly, since this will replenish the elements (you should test for these as well ALK CAL MAG)- From your pic, it would appear to me that you have a major need for ALK CAL with the water change method youre doing now, as your tank is primary a softie setup.

I use Hanna Checkers for my testing - I’m not color blind but I hate squinting to figure out what shade the color is when trying to pinpoint my figures. Well except for NO3- I use the NYOS kit - bc all I care about is my range, and this kit is quick and simple to read. One may say the cost for a Hanna Checker isn’t worth it, but theyre not that much more in price, and what you pay for pays off immediately. If you go this route, I’d suggest getting a couple, and watch the does and donts.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like Gary's idea for your space if you don't have room for what waterdog did. I would be wary of hanging anything heavy off the edge of that glass sump that could act as a lever.

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keeping your NO3 and NO4 in stable and desirable ranges. Ie. NO3 5-10ppm. NO4 Under .1 higher than .01. The combination of all the filtration you have would most likely strip those levels to a point where they’re untraceable - almost 100% certain of this, unless you decide to add to these levels by dosing NO3/4 pro by over feeding, which in my opinion is one of the oddest methods of adding more nutrients to your tank. You should have reliable test kits to track these numbers - especially once your ATS takes off - don’t forget before adding or subtracting to the nutrient levels- you should mess around with the light schedule on the ATS first. Super low NO3 - adjust the light schedule to fewer hours, the revers if your NO3 starts to increase.

As far as All For Reef... I’d suggest steering clear of this product at the current moment. Main reason is this stuff never hits the shelf - I swear I get a notification from BRS, and 1 second later they’re all sold out!! Secondly, your water changes are doing the trick - maybe look into AFR once you spread your water changes out to biweekly or monthly, since this will replenish the elements (you should test for these as well ALK CAL MAG)- From your pic, it would appear to me that you have a major need for ALK CAL with the water change method youre doing now, as your tank is primary a softie setup.

I use Hanna Checkers for my testing - I’m not color blind but I hate squinting to figure out what shade the color is when trying to pinpoint my figures. Well except for NO3- I use the NYOS kit - bc all I care about is my range, and this kit is quick and simple to read. One may say the cost for a Hanna Checker isn’t worth it, but theyre not that much more in price, and what you pay for pays off immediately. If you go this route, I’d suggest getting a couple, and watch the does and donts.
You mean PO4 right. My phosphates are super high, .17 on the Hanna checker. I use the NYOS kit for the Nitrate test. It's about 4-5 ppm I have some MEcoral NO3 if I need to raise it.

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's My Algae Scrubber with a stand that hangs just over the sump of my Reefer 250. I luv this thing lol.
20210602_184201.jpg
20210607_214342.jpg
20210607_214403.jpg
20210607_214432.jpg

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what model ATS is this?
I got it from this guy on eBay. I think it's the best one being made right now and it's only $250 at the moment. This one is equivalent to the one Clear Water charges over 500 dollars for and this one is better.

This is the link

OP
OP
G

Gary Ellis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it from this guy on eBay. I think it's the best one being made right now and it's only $250 at the moment. This one is equivalent to the one Clear Water charges over 500 dollars for and this one is better.

This is the link
Dam, now you tell me. Oh well. I do like it.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a GREAT scrubber ! I have the hang on version on my 120 ...well designed...the owner/builder is great to deal with...this guy has invented one of the best scrubbers out there ...........

Back