Shellbacks 125

DSNYshellback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small back story. Recently moved to Long island, new house, new wife, new dog, and new baby on the way due in May. So in my infinite wisdom I decided why not a new fish tank?

This has been and will continue to be a slow build as I have many other things going on at the same time but I figured I have gotten to the point where I have enough stuff and it's getting closer that I can start a new tank thread.

My old house I had a very old 90 gallon system that my father had given me. One of the ones where the stand acted as the sump. Needless to say it made things very difficult to work on because the only way I could access it was a small opening on the top. Now with the new house I plan on everything being open and I am going to run whatever I can from the basement with the display being on the first floor.

Fast forward many months and many days of getting yelled at due to more boxes on the stoop of fish tank goodies and the Mrs has accepted that the tank is inevitable. Well that and agreeing to make sure I have a "Nemo" and a "Dori". Again this will be a slower built, my father is coming tomorrow to help me build the table in the basement for the equipment I plan on keeping down there but for now enjoy. Oh and any comments or advice is welcomed.

Kenny

OP
OP
DSNYshellback

DSNYshellback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the boxes to arrive. She wasn't happy at all that day lol

20160323_174438.jpg

OP
OP
DSNYshellback

DSNYshellback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The area in the basement that will turn into my "fish room" and the area on the first floor where the tank will be. The dog isn't happy either about being evicted from her spot lol.

More to come in the future!!

20160327_122025.jpg

20160327_130129.jpg

OP
OP
DSNYshellback

DSNYshellback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've run into a snag with my plumbing. Only cause I've never run or even seen where the plumbing goes into the basement. I have the general idea of how I'm going to set it up but before I do any cutting and gluing does anyone recommend a certain way to do this?

I was going to run the supply and return pipes into the stand then just use a T for the pipes going into the basement to minimize the holes going into the floor.

Would setting it up like this create a problem for the supply flow on either side of the tank? Or is there a noise issue I might not know about? Again just want to make sure I get this right before I start to make things permanent

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Following along!

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great start, tagging on for the ride!

OP
OP
DSNYshellback

DSNYshellback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So while in trying to figure out my plumbing problem I finished up building a new table with back splash to hang my rodi and duel reactor. Thanks for the help dad!!

Again looking for any advice for a direction to go with the plumbing

20160330_185040.jpg

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start to a ManCave. If your painting that wall behind tank area, use " Lock-out" first, it's a expoxy paint that keeps moisture out from foundation. It doesn't work well on floor, but does great on walls.
Glad you have your priorities, cave, tank, kids, wife, work......sorry couldn't put wife last, my wife's watching......oh come on, that's a little funny! With all that work ahead of you, you better keep your humor! Good Luck.....

OP
OP
DSNYshellback

DSNYshellback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the tip. I will definitely look into that! I wish my priorities stacked like that, but the tank was only agreed on that I was taking care of all the other things first.

I must be lucky that the Mrs doesn't see what I'm doing on here. She only asks "are you talking to your fish friends again?" Lol

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I get the same stuff from my wife, but she really enjoys the tanks, trop. and the new local. Get her involved with the new stuff that comes out of the rock, good or bad, it really keeps her interested. You already made the best decision.........the basement.

OP
OP
DSNYshellback

DSNYshellback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I'm sure she's going to love anything that goes into the tank. She's just not too interested on what makes it work lol.

And I was very happy I could put it in the basement. I remember cleaning up many a mess on the floor from my old tank and I'm sure that would drive her bananas haha

OP
OP
DSNYshellback

DSNYshellback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update since it's been a while. I have most of what I need in place now. The tank is filled and the rock work is acceptable for now. I'm sure I'll change it.

Time to kick this pig and see where I stand and adjustments to make. Oh I had to rebuild the hood so I could increase the distance between the lights and the water.

20160508_161904.jpg

20160508_191208.jpg

20160508_095641.jpg

20160513_192438.jpg

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 34 19.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 134 76.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.4%
Back