Shiladitya's SPS dominated Tank

Razor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my name is Shiladitya and I am from Calcutta,India. Since my childhood I have been fascinated with fishes and its mainly because of my father who
was an avid freshwater fish keeper. I came to know about reef tanks in 2006 and since then I was hooked on. All my previous tanks have been LPS
dominated for the main reason of unavailability of SPS corals and related equipments. It been over a year now that the reefkeeping scene has changed here and we are getting SPS corals pretty often.

Anyways back to the context.

It is the color and diversity of the SPS corals that made me drag onto this project. After months of reading and doing tons of
research I believe it is best to start now.

New Tank:

Dimensions: 54''(L) x 27''(W) x 22''(H)
Glass: 12mm Saint Gobain DIAMANT Low-Iron Extra Clear glass
Adhesive: Clear Silicon

I will be doing the bracing like Alexander Girz's old tank.

Since there is no space at the back I am restrained to do an Internal Overflow Box. Richard Durso type standpipe.

Sump: Custom made glass sump
Circulation: H2Ocean Flow pump 5000
Circulation Powerheads: 2 x EcoTech Marine Vortech Mp-40W
Skimmer: Reef Octopus NW-150B
Lights: 2 x Ecotech Radion
RO/DI: Kemflow 75GPD 5 stage RO/DI
Chiller: Hailea HC-500A 50Hz 1/2 HP
Heater: 2 x Eheim Jager 300w
Top Off: Reef Octopus FW-220
Fluidised Reactor: Reef Octopus PHR-100, Phosban Reactor 150
Miscellaneous: JBJ powerhead in sump and Reef Octopus 100micron Pre Filter Socks

OLD TANK:

O
k , now back to the new tank.

Here is a sample of the DIAMANT glass that the factory sent me.

Dimensions:

Sump:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

Razor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After talking with the builder and since I am using 12mm glass I decided to add bottom braces to make it sturdy.

Here is the design:

Circulation:

To create randomness in the tank I went with 2 x Ecotech Marine MP-40W. I chose the Vortech's for their sleek looks.

The main circulation pump is a H20cean Flow Pump 5000 with a maximum flow rate of 5000 l/hr. The pump is one of the smallest I have seen and very quiet.
Below is a size comparison picture.

T
he details of the pump can be found in the link:
http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/h...flow-pump-5000

The Plumbing:

I don't have a fish room and so I have to fit everything inside the stand. (except the Chiller).
Thats why I want the plumbing to be simple and effective. I want to feed the chiller from the main circulation pump and use a separate pump for the skimmer. I also want to add an extra pump through which I can run the reactors. The reason for two pumps is to avoid pushing air through all the other reactors when the return pump is off. Since it is always pretty hot in India (avg 32°C) the newly mixed saltwater has a high temperature. So I want ball valves on my return lines for cooling off the new SW after a w/c while still in the sump. Then when the temperature has reached around 27°C I slowly open the ball valves.
smile.gif

Here is the thing I came up with. All suggestions welcome.

MadBrad527

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very neat design. Love all the details you put into the post. Looks like it will turn out to be great, and I am looking forward to seeing the progress.

Brad

OP
OP
R

Razor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light Mount:

I want the structure to be as sleek as possible keeping every other thing in mind. Since I will be using LEDs in the tank there is no need to move the structure up or down. However I might need to move my LEDs sideways. So keeping everything in mind, I came up with this structure.

There will be 3 bars each 1/2 inch thick spread over a length of 48inch x 8inch. The middlebar is screwed through the two sides and is removable. 4 thin steel strips will be hanging from the middlebar each having 2 holes on the bottom. The LEDs will screw in through the holes.

The bars will be made by 16 gauge high quality stainless steel. The LEDs I will be using are Ecotech Radions so the structure is planned accordingly.

Here are some pictures for a better illustration:

I have drawn only 1 such strip in the picture though there will be 4 of them.

This will screw into the back wall over the tank.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back