Should a "Moonlight" dim blue light be left on overnight

sassyonmane

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 23, 2025
Messages
210
Reaction score
59
Location
Sydney NSW
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering if leaving on a dim blue light overnight was good for the reef or bad for it, found information about how it makes a natural lighting cycle but also found posts about how its bad for the fish and corals and not good for them at all, all the forums and posts were like 3-7 years ago so im wondering if maybe theres been more research?
 
It would not hurt. The sea is never completely dark due to stars and the moon. I have a light on my algae scrubber all night and it has been on for about 6 years. The fish haven't complained yet. 😀
 
I use the AI moon function.
I think it works really well personally, follows the moon phase to a degree, some sometimes the tanks completely dark, and other times it’s not.

Also makes the tank a good night light for my kids 😆
 
I personally wouldn’t. I use to have algae issues, cyano in particular. I did everything to get rid of them. Eventually I learned my lights were on too long. Not exactly sure of the science but this is what I got. After some hours your corals stop consuming nutrients when that happens there’s no competition for nuisance algae and bacteria.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 27.9%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 5.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new